REISNER: Trying out for men’s basketball provided challenging, unique experience

All the tryout participants line up on the baseline in preparation for wind sprints.

Only one percent of high school basketball players go on to compete at the Division I level, according to the NCAA. I tried to be one of them last week.

I first learned of the opportunity to walk onto the men’s basketball team via a flyer at the Helfaer Recreation Center. For a basketball fanatic like me, someone who has played practically since I could walk, it was too good to pass up. I submitted the required two-page essay on what it would mean to be a walk-on and waited.

About three weeks went by until the tryout finally came. Fifteen people, myself included, showed up. The odds were not in my favor.

Upon arriving at the Al McGuire Center 30 minutes early – as a good walk-on should – I was directed to the Kasten gym. There were already eight people there warming up. When college students show up early, you know it’s important.

After lacing up and getting loose, the tryout began. Associate head coach Brett Nelson gathered us all into a huddle, gave us a few instructions, then broke us up into two groups.

We ran a simple drill called “perfect layups” to begin the tryout, which only requires focus, composure and teamwork. We needed to make a certain number of consecutive layups as a team without committing any mental errors such as a bad cut, lazy pass or not sprinting back. Unfortunately, we didn’t complete the drill within the allocated period of time, causing Nelson to shout the words every participant dreaded hearing.

“Get on the line.”

It was reminiscent of my days at Brookfield Central High School, where practices would usually start the exact same way. I wasn’t nostalgic for it.

Several sprints later, we conducted some full court layup and outlet pass drills while the coaches evaluated our conditioning and ability to listen. The intensity of those moments was something to behold. It is as close to a game speed environment as it gets, and the pressure of making the team takes the place of a hostile crowd.

Following the drills, we were divided into teams for about 20 minutes of scrimmaging. It was a test of physical and mental fortitude to see who is still able to play after 40 minutes of hard conditioning before concluding with “pressure free throws,” a drill many high school basketball players know well.

Each player steps up to shoot one free throw. If the player makes it, nothing happens. If the player misses, the whole team runs. The majority of us were able to step up and knock our free throw down, which ended the tryouts on a positive note.

The toughest part of doing these drills was the conditioning aspect. It is not something you can really simulate on your own, especially after being out of high school basketball for over a year.

Whatever the result may be, it was the experience of a lifetime. There was a lot to gain and nothing to lose. If nothing else, I at least gained the ability to tell one of the coolest college stories around.

Chris Reisner, Sports Producer

Chris Reisner is a junior at Marquette from Brookfield, WI. As sports producer he puts together a weekly television show, creates print and video content...

1 Comment

One Response to “REISNER: Trying out for men’s basketball provided challenging, unique experience”

1. Keary Mattson on October 4th, 2017 8:19 am

Walk on at Marquette? Don’t waste your time. A former student of mine walked on last year and walk-ons take part in one drill at the beginning of practice and that is it. They are not even on the scout team. How can a player get better or impress the coaches if they do not even practice. And after completing the season he talked to coach about moving on and his computer was immediately taken back, he was told to stay out of the gym, and he could come to the end of the year banquet. So he did, but his name was not even in the program and he was not recognized as having been a part of the team.

• REISNER: Trying out for men’s basketball provided challenging, unique experience

Three takeaways: Golden Eagles overcome slow start, hit nine threes in second half

Late scoring run from Chartouny helps No. 24 Marquette avoid upset

Indiana’s scoring prowess, perimeter defense befuddle No. 24 Marquette

• Men's Basketball

Chris Reisner delivers ‘final take’ on Marquette men’s basketball storylines

Howard looks to become elite rebounder

PHOTO GALLERY: Men’s basketball wins second game at Fiserv Forum

Three takeaways: Despite turnovers, points in the paint help Marquette defeat BCU

Howard scores 37 in Marquette’s 92-59 win over Bethune-Cookman

Three takeaways: Depth helps Marquette in home opener

Men’s basketball routs UMBC despite lack of perimeter shooting