Conflicts of Interest Policy

This policy covers the definition and handling of conflicts of interest.

JOURNALISTIC INDEPENDENCE

Since the Marquette Wire operates in the sphere of public trust, our staff members must avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. Our readers, viewers and listeners must know we work for them, and that our staff members are not beholden to other interests.

A conflict of interest can be illustrated with the following examples:

• Reporting on a story where the reporter has current or former personal involvement with the organization, event or people he/she is reporting on
  • Using friends, family, roommates and/or significant others as sources in a story
  • Interviewing paid Wire employees and Wire volunteers for a story*
  • Reporting on a story that one was bribed to write (with money or other compensation)

If a reporter is assigned a story that is a conflict of interest, it is their responsibility to notify his/her editor immediately and receive a new assignment. 

It is perfectly acceptable for reporters to pitch stories to their editors that would be a conflict of interest for them to write. However, reporters must make their conflicts known to their editors at the outset, and the editors must assign the stories to other members on their desk who do not have conflicts.

OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT

Wire employees may hold additional jobs or positions on and off campus, but certain activities are prohibited for paid staff. During their time on staff, paid Wire staff members must refrain from all partisan political involvement for the sake of fairness. This includes involvement in Marquette University Student Government, as well as internships, jobs, campaigning, signing petitions or openly donating to a political cause.

Wire volunteers are asked to similarly refrain from all partisan political involvement, including involvement in MUSG. Volunteers on the news desk are required to refrain from all partisan political involvement, including involvement in MUSG.

All conflicts regarding partisan political involvement must be reported immediately to the employee’s direct supervisor and the Wire executive director.

As a news organization, the Marquette Wire has a responsibility to serve as a check on those in positions of power. The appearance of bias can develop if members of the Marquette Wire engage in student government activities or positions. Journalists have an obligation to maintain a sense of objectivity to ensure accurate reporting. Blurring the lines between the university’s student media outlet and student government would jeopardize the Marquette Wire’s credibility.

Failure to notify supervisors of potential conflicts of interest is a serious offense and will likely result in disciplinary action.

A Wire employee who holds additional jobs or positions on and off campus is required to refrain from coverage related to those jobs or positions. This prevents a Wire employee from allowing bias to affect his/her coverage.

GIFTS

It is standard practice in the Marquette Wire newsroom to not accept gifts from sources. This is essential for maintaining the organization’s dedication to objective reporting.

Gifts from sources can include a source purchasing lunch, a source providing gift bags to event attendees and/or a source providing a gift certificate. 

If offered a gift, Wire staff members must kindly turn it down. It helps to explain to sources the the importance of journalistic integrity in turning down gifts. If a source expresses discontentment with a Wire staff member’s refusal of a gift, Wire staff members should encourage the source to contact the Wire executive director.

If a member of the Marquette Wire receives a gift through the mail, it is acceptable to keep the gift if it is valued less than $20. If it is valued more than $20, it should be sent back to the source.

If a member of the Marquette Wire reviews a gift, the staff member must disclose that the reviewed item was a gift in his/her story. It is preferable for the staff member to purchase any item he/she is reviewing and consult with the Wire executive director for possible reimbursement.

Members of the Marquette Wire sports desk are permitted to eat media meals while covering sporting events. Since all members of the media are provided with the same media meals, certain reporters are not pressured to provide more positive coverage than others.

FREE ADMISSION TO EVENTS

Members of the Marquette Wire may receive free admission to events which normally require paid tickets. However, members of the Marquette Wire must disclose this information to readers in stories to ensure transparency in coverage.

When possible, it is preferable for members of the Marquette Wire to purchase tickets to events they are covering and consult with the Wire executive director for possible reimbursement.