Marquette target Steve Wojciechowski interviews Monday

Photo via GoDuke.com
Photo via GoDuke.com

Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski emerged as a major player for Marquette’s head coaching vacancy Sunday, according to reports from Yahoo Sports and ESPN.

Monday, rumors of the parties’ mutual interest were confirmed when Durham Herald-Sun Duke beat writer Steve Wiseman reported that Wojciechowski was interviewing with Marquette.

Wojciechowski, who played four years at Duke from 1994-98, started coaching there in 1999 under legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski. In 2008, “Wojo” was promoted to associate head coach.

The long-time assistant also has experience coaching in the Olympics as a coach on the 2008 gold-medal winning United States men’s team. He specializes in coaching Duke’s forwards and was known for his tenacious defense as a player. Wojciechowski told CBS Sports that “the time to leave Duke is approaching” in December.

“I love Duke,” Wojciechowski said. “I love working for Coach K. But I also want to have my own program. When the time’s right, I’ll know it. And it’ll be right for me.”

Recent Duke assistants have had a mixed bag of success in the head coaching ranks. Johnny Dawkins just finished his sixth year at Stanford and took them to the Sweet 16 in the first NCAA Tournament appearance in his tenure. Tommy Amaker, Harvard’s head man, failed to make the NCAA Tournament at his first two jobs (Seton Hall and Michigan) before finding success in the Ivy League. Chris Collins showed promising signs in his first season at Northwestern and looks the man to take that squad to the NCAA Tournament for the first time somewhere down the road.

Marquette interviewed Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin Sunday and is expected to choose between Wojciechowski and Martin for the vacancy in the coming days.