What to expect from Bill Cords’ press conference

Marquette men’s basketball huddles during a break in the action at DePaul. (Photo by Francesca Reed / [email protected])
Former Marquette coach Buzz WIlliams left for Virginia Tech Friday (AP Photo/Matt Cilley).
Former Marquette coach Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech Friday (AP Photo/Matt Cilley).

Wednesday afternoon, Marquette Athletics announced a 2 p.m. Thursday press conference at the Al McGuire center. At the conference, Interim Athletic Director Bill Cords will update the media on the progress of finding Buzz Williams’ successor. Here’s a brief primer on what kind of information to expect from Cords.

Don’t Expect: Cords to name a new head coach. This should be an obvious one. With less than three hours before the news conference and no online rumors gaining traction, there’s pretty much no way an agreement has been reached. New University President Michael Lovell probably wants to at least take a deep breath before diving headfirst into the coaching search. Also don’t expect Marquette to announce the hiring of an athletic director, as a commenter on an Anonymous Eagle story speculated. There would have been a leak by now.

Expect: Cords to frequently mention Lovell. Marquette now has a permanent leader in place for years to come, and a university full of interims needs all the good press it can get. Cords will hammer home how much Lovell’s presence helps make Marquette an attractive job and how his passion for athletics will help energize the coaching search.

Don’t Expect: Cords to use names of coaches unless otherwise prompted. It’s not in his best interest to name any sort of candidates while the search process continues. Surely, some members of the media will ask about specific coaches, especially Howland, given the Pittsburgh connection with Lovell. Cords likely won’t answer any of those questions with specific progress updates about any coach, as to avoid the Twitter frenzy that took place Monday.

Expect: Cords to use a lot of cliches and buzzwords. Some potential phrases include “the process is ongoing” and “we appreciate our passionate fans.” Maybe he’ll mention Monday’s rumor overload, but probably just to use another popular phrase like “the rumors were unsubstantiated.” Providing specific information could disadvantage the hiring process and drive the information-hungry fan base nuts.

Don’t Expect: This news conference to be of much help to anyone. Ultimately, this feels like a stop gap. There’s a reason why in that link above, Brewtown Andy from Anonymous Eagles asks Cords to cancel the presser. Any information the media and fans truly want would make the athletic department seem untrustworthy in the eyes of the coaching candidates. Unless Cords already has a coach in place, which he almost certainly does not, 2 p.m. will provide mere housekeeping over any useful information.