Ring Out Ahoya! Your go-to guide to National Marquette Day

This years National Marquette Day game is at 5pm against St. John’s.
Photo by Serena Pace

On Feb.10, National Marquette Day commences. This celebration allows the Marquette community to feel the school spirit through watching Marquette Basketball play at Fiserv Forum, hanging out with friends and wearing blue and gold to show school spirit. 

The game is at 5 p.m. and is against St. John’s and this guide will give you ideas for the best place to watch the game, events being offered and how to make the most of your NMD experience.

There is also the Marquette Women’s Basketball Pregame celebration at the Union Sports Annex to gather before the Marquette Women’s Basketball team takes on Villanova. This event starts at 12:00 p.m. on Feb.10 and the ticket price is $15. 

What to wear 

My go-to outfit would be either a yellow/gold matching sweat set or a navy sweat set. This year, my roommates and I will be wearing navy sweatshirts along with navy sweatpants with homemade iron printed letters that says Marquette.

A sweat set is the perfect comfy outfit for National Marquette day because it will keep you warm in the February weather and also not be constricting or uncomfortable while watching the game at Fiserv.

Another outfit recommendation I would suggest would be a fun pair of yellow, white or blue overalls to wear to embrace the Marquette spirit as well. Pair it with a blue or gold Marquette beanie or hat and you will be warm while showing immense Marquette pride. 

Another idea drawing on inspiration from my sophomore year NMD outfit is to find a matching patterned blue or yellow set. I wore a knit set which kept me warm all day and I received many compliments. Any funky patterned pants or matching sets will earn you admiration and also the comfort needed for a long day of festivities. 

If you’re bold enough to wear a golden eagle costume, put it on and rock it! Ishika Patel, a Senior in the College of Nursing, wore a golden eagle onesie to National Marquette Day 2022 as pictured.

What to do to celebrate

In the past friends and I have done bagel breakfast in the morning of NMD as a fun way to all gather together before the game. This year the game is at 5.pm. so a breakfast with an array of bagels, fruit, orange juice, and any sides would be a great way to kick start your National Marquette Day. 

Another great way to celebrate before the game would be to go to a local Milwaukee restaurant and grab a good lunch before going to the game. I recommend Bel Air Cantina or Third Street Market Hall to accommodate a big group of friends before attending the game. 

Where to watch the game if you don’t have tickets

If you don’t have tickets to the game, don’t worry you can still grab a bite to eat with friends at a bustling restaurant to get a similar feeling to the “Marquette fan experience” you would get at Fiserv. 

I would recommend going to Milwaukee Brat House, The Mecca Sports Bar & Grill, or Whos on Third to get some great cheese curds or whatever your classic appetizer is while watching the game on a big screen. The Mecca Sports Bar & Grill right across from the Fiserv Forum has a very large TV to project the game for your viewing purposes. 

Fun activities to do

If you are a student or an alumnus, there is something for everyone to do at a Marquette sponsored event the weekend of Feb.10. Marquette is offering Marquette Young Alumni Association Pregame Celebration for young alumni to gather at the Trade Hotel for food and drinks the afternoon before the game on Saturday. The early bird ticket price runs through Feb. 7. and is $30 for entry. Young alumni from the class of 2009-2023 are able to come and celebrate at this event. 

No matter who you decide to celebrate the holiday with — a friend, family member, coworker or alumni — I recommend you watch the game, break out your best gold and navy outfit and Ring Out Ahoya! 

This story was written by Avery Darrow. She can be reached at avery[email protected].