Basketball programs surge in latest AP Poll

Photo by Elena Fiegen

For the first time in program history, Marquette women’s basketball is a top-10 team.

“This has been our vision for the last five years,” head coach Carolyn Kieger said. “We thought and we knew we could be a top-10 program, and we’ve been working really hard to get to this point.”

The latest Associated Press Poll, which came out Monday morning, moved Marquette from No. 14 to No. 10. Prior to this season, the team was never ranked above No. 16.

The move in the rankings followed wins last weekend over Seton Hall and St. John’s. Neither team is in the top 70 of the NCAA’s RPI rankings. Marquette is the last BIG EAST team to be undefeated in conference play and went 5-0 without reigning BIG EAST Player of the Year Allazia Blockton, who has been out with an ankle injury.

“It speaks to our depth,” Kieger said. “It speaks to our culture, where Allazia goes down and it’s next woman up. … Our team has done a phenomenal job in her absence, and we’re excited to get her back.”

Men’s basketball also made history, moving up three spots to No. 12 in the latest AP Poll. It is the highest ranking in the Steve Wojciechowski era at Marquette. The last top-12 ranking in the AP Poll came March 11, 2013. The Golden Eagles went on to the Elite Eight that season.

Wojciechowski’s squad rose in the polls after wins over Georgetown Jan. 15 and Providence Sunday.

Men’s basketball will host unranked DePaul at Fiserv Forum Wednesday night. Women’s basketball starts a three-game road trip Friday with stops at Xavier, Butler and DePaul. Butler is the only other BIG EAST team with three or less losses in the conference.

Kieger won’t necessarily be dwelling on the rankings, though. Since losing an exhibition to Division II team Grand Valley State Nov. 1, Kieger said the team has agreed to “treat every team like we’re the underdog.”

“At the end of the day, rankings don’t really matter,” Kieger said. “We want to keep looking 200 feet ahead. … It’s neat to see our name up there and see us recognized with some of the best teams in the country. However, the work is just getting started.”