Volleyball opens four-match road trip with four-set victory against Villanova

Photo by Jordan Johnson

Marquette volleyball lost its first BIG EAST set to a team other than Creighton Friday night, taking down Villanova in four sets (21-25, 25-14, 25-15, 25-17).

In the first set, the Wildcats got out to a quick 6-2 lead, but the Golden Eagles battled back to tie the set at 6-6. The remainder of the set was mostly back-and-forth until Villanova went ahead 20-16. From there, the Wildcats did not relinquish that lead to win the opening set 25-21.

Marquette struggled in the first, only capitalizing on 12 of 32 kill attempts and committing seven errors.

The second frame was much different from the first, as the Golden Eagles took a demanding 11-5 lead after back-to-back Hope Werch aces. Marquette continued its hot streak, which led to a 25-14 Marquette victory in the second set.

In the second the Golden Eagles increased their hitting percentage to 0.312, and the Wildcats dropped to the worst of the night with 0.030.

Marquette had its best hitting percentage in the third set, but the Wildcats cut Marquette’s 9-4 lead to 15-14 to keep the third set close. That was the closest the Wildcats could get, as Marquette took the third set 25-15. The Golden Eagles then took the final set with ease 25-17.

Junior outside hitter Allie Barber led the Golden Eagles with 15 kills. Werch had a stellar night, almost getting a triple-double with 11 kills, 10 digs and eight aces.

Junior Allie Olsonoski and freshman Clare Delaplane led the Wildcats tied with nine kills. Junior setter Emma Decker had a match-high 25 assists for the Wildcats.

No. 19 Marquette (21-5, 11-2 BIG EAST) travels to Washington, D.C., for its second game of the series to take on the Georgetown Hoyas. The game is slated for 5 p.m. Central time.