Recruiting: Pair of unofficial visits highlight Minnesota-centric week

As this year’s renewal of Marquette Madness takes off tonight, new uniforms and new faces have students and fans sitting on the edge of their seats.  However, Marquette will also be courting 2018 power forwards Race Thompson and Jarvis Thomas.

Thompson, a resident of Minneapolis, is 247Sports Composite’s 61st-best player nationally and second-best in the state of Minnesota.  Thompson currently fields offers from Minnesota, Marquette, Iowa State, Kansas State and Wisconsin, among others.

Meanwhile, Thomas, a St. Paul native, is not ranked by any major recruiting site.  Arizona State, Iowa State, Oregon State and UW-Green Bay have offered Thomas.  Marquette, Wisconsin and Iowa have expressed interest but have not offered the 6-foot-6 prospect yet.

Thompson and Thomas are summer basketball teammates on D1 Minnesota, one of the top AAU squads in the basketball-rich state.  While other schools appear to be recruiting Thompson and Thomas together, Marquette is the only school to host both prospects for visits.

Per Rivals, Marquette visited Thomas at his high school as well Wednesday morning.

Marquette also became the latest of Division I high-major to offer Class of 2020 stud and Minneapolis native Jalen Suggs.  Athleticism is in Suggs’ blood as his cousin Terrell plays linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens.

Outside of Minnesota, 2017 target and ESPN100 forward Jordan Nwora announced his final 12 schools. Marquette was the lone Big East team to make the cut.  Nwora is one of the most notable names in Wojo’s search for the final scholarship recipient of the 2017 class.