Wojo, Marquette refocus attention following Tillman commitment

Photo by Mike Carpenter
Wojciechowski has one open scholarship spot for next year.

As Class of 2017 power forward Xavier Tillman decided to pass on Marquette in favor of Michigan State, Marquette’s search for their final scholarship appears to be down to three prominent names: Jordan Nwora, Hasahn French and Jacob Epperson.

The most likely scenario for the Golden Eagles is that power forward Hasahn French will fill the final spot.  French, while slightly undersized at 6-foot-7, would give the Golden Eagles another talented option down low.

French is also considering UNLV, Saint Louis and UMass, but has only visited Marquette and Saint Louis.  French was scheduled to visit Minnesota as well, but cancelled. He has not announced a timetable yet for his decision.

If Wojo cannot land French, fans will likely have to wait a few months to see Marquette fill the final vacancy. Per Scout’s Evan Daniels, Nwora is expected to make a late decision. Epperson is also on track to make a late decision.

Nwora, a Buffalo, New York, native playing with Vermont Academy, was one of the biggest benefactors of the summer evaluation periods. Nwora was the second-leading scorer at the highly-coveted adidas Nations tournament this summer, averaging 23.8 points on 46.1 percent shooting from the field and 42.3 percent shooting from beyond the arc.

Epperson, a 6-foot-11 center from Australia, would give Marquette their first international recruit since Junior Cadougan in 2009. After being a relative unknown, Epperson emerged onto the high-major recruiting scene with outstanding performances in the first two July evaluation periods.

With Tillman off the table, Marquette is also centering more attention on Class of 2018 targets. Four-star power forward Race Thompson will be attending Marquette Madness Friday, and coaches have been busy on the recruiting trail.

Assistant Stan Johnson was in Washington D.C. and Memphis this past week. Gonzaga College High School head coach Steve Turner confirmed on Twitter that the blue and gold were watching 2018 target Prentiss Hubb. During his Memphis stop, he tweeted a picture with Penny Hardaway, the director of target TJ Moss’s AAU program.