Recruiting: French spurns MU in favor of Saint Louis

Marquette men’s basketball will wait a few more months to fill its final commitment, as four-star power forward Hasahn French picked Saint Louis over Marquette, UNLV and UMass.

“Thankful for God guiding my path it’s just the start of new beginnings and I am proud to be a part of the SLU family,” French tweeted.

French proved his ability to score down low during his time on PSA Cardinals, one of the best AAU programs in New York. The only major recruiting site to not have French ranked in the top 25 among power forwards is 247Sports, which ranks him 40th.

The resident of Springfield, Massachusetts, had offers from several high-majors like Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Minnesota and Vanderbilt before announcing Sept. 24 his final four schools: Marquette, UNLV, Saint Louis and UMass.

He took official visits to all four schools, starting with Marquette Sept. 9 and ending with UNLV Oct. 8.  He visited Saint Louis Sept. 30.

French is the second consecutive 2017 power forward to turn down Marquette.  Fellow power forward Xavier Tillman picked Michigan State over Marquette at the end of September.

French would have helped fill the void from Luke Fischer’s graduation.  Marquette’s attention is now expected to be redirected to Australian center Jacob Epperson and elite power forwards in the class of 2018.  However, with the early signing period looming less than a month away, Marquette’s final commitment is not expected until the spring.