Jamal Cain commits to MU, the third in 2017 class to do so

Steve Wojciechowski and the Marquette Golden Eagles earned their third commitment of the 2017 recruiting class Saturday, as Detroit Cornerstone star Jamal Cain committed during his official visit.

“I’m officially a MARQUETTE GOLDEN EAGLE…I thank God for all my BLESSINGS!!” Cain tweeted.

Cain, who was also considering Georgia, Michigan and Florida State, gives the Golden Eagles another much-needed weapon down low. Cain will be one of four players to be listed as 6-foot-7 or taller. The others are will-be-junior Matt Heldt and fellow 2017 commits Theo John and Ike Eke.

Cain will already have the benefit of one familiar face at Marquette in Eke. The two Michigan natives played together during the AAU season for The Family, the only member of Nike’s elite EYBL league in the state of Michigan.

This commitment also suggests that Wojo’s heavy recruitment in the state of Michigan is paying off despite strong competition from Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Michigan’s John Beilein. Besides Eke and Cain, Grand Rapids Christian power forward Xavier Tillman is also seriously considering Marquette.

With Cain’s commitment Saturday and John’s commitment Tuesday, Marquette is now down to just one commitment for the Class of 2017 with Tillman and Hasahn French seriously considering the Golden Eagles. French visited MU last weekend and Tillman will visit next weekend. Jordan Nwora has also been a high-priority target although he has not announced any intentions of visiting campus yet.