2017 PF Xavier Tillman picks Michigan State over Marquette, Purdue

Class of 2017 power forward and longtime Marquette target Xavier Tillman announced today that he will be taking his talent to Michigan State, turning down Marquette and Purdue.

Marquette put a full-court press on Tillman’s recruitment, stopping in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on the first day of the fall recruiting period and later visited him the day before his official visit to Michigan State.

At Michigan State, Tillman will join AAU teammate and 26th-ranked recruit Jaren Jackson, Jr. Some speculated that Jackson’s commitment would lessen Tillman’s interest since they play the same position, but Tillman told MLive that the commitment had “no effect.”

Tillman sits in the top 100 for ESPN, 247Sports and Rivals.  Scout does not give Tillman a national rank but considers him the 31st-best center.  He was also listed on the MLive Grand Rapids Press Boys Dream Team as a first team selection.

Tillman helped lead Grand Rapids Christian to a 22-2 season and OK Conference White Divison title.  Per MLive, Tillman led the team in rebounding and was second in points and assists.

For Marquette, losing Tillman bears potential long-term consequences on the recruiting trail, as Grand Rapids Christian teammate Duane Washington has received notable attention from the Blue and Gold.  Washington was a third team selection on the MLive Grand Rapids Press Boys Dream Team.  Also, Class of 2019 guard and Marquette target Tyger Campbell played on the same AAU team, Spiece Indy Heat, at the 17U EYBL level.  Michigan State is also targeting Washington and Campbell.

Marquette is now expected to turn towards Hasahn French, Jordan Nwora and Jacob Epperson in search for the final member of the 2017 recruiting class.  Nwora, a Buffalo, New York, native, is the only one listed in ESPN’s top 100.