Trending fall fashion

As summer turns into fall, weather begins to go from blazing hot to a brisk chill leading many students to change their attire into something more fashionable for the colder weather approaching.
Trending fall fashion
Photo by via Clipart

As summer turns into fall, weather begins to go from blazing hot to a brisk chill leading many students to change their attire into something more fashionable for the colder weather approaching. With trends changing just as quick as the weather, it can be difficult to keep up with the latest styles. From cowl scarves to high-rise boots to chunky sweaters, what does this year hold for fashion?

Antonia Bareford, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, credits her style to famous TikTok-er Zoi Fish and her hometown California friends. “I love the vintage style whether it’s jeans or long skirts, it’s a style we don’t see a lot in Wisconsin, but it’s so cute that I am hoping to see more this year,” Bareford said.

Vintage style isn’t something that can be created overnight, rather it takes a little bit of time and effort to find the right clothing that is not only cute and wearable, but also gives off the older feel. Bareford finds that the secret to a great vintage look is economical and sustainable.

Antonia Bareford poses. (Courtesy of Antonia Bareford)

“The best way to find clothes that give off the real vintage vibe is by going thrifting. I get a majority of my clothes from Plato’s Closet, Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul — all of which give off a real used and older vibe in my style. I can’t remember the last time I went thrifting and didn’t find something that is now a part of my wardrobe,” Bareford said.

With the weather changing, Bareford is making the switch between her seasonal clothes, but keeping her vintage style, something that is a year-round look. This fall she will be sporting something new for her: longer skirts paired with simple tops, a look she is excited to start wearing.

Malik Said, a sophomore in the College of Health Sciences, finds that his style is inspired by the well-known phrase “look good, feel good.”

“I’m not sure what has inspired my style over the years, I think it’s a mix of finding clothes that are comfortable enough for class, but also nice enough to pair with other things,” Said said.

Although Said’s style doesn’t fit into the typical categories, it is his own signature look. It takes time to find brands that match not only the vibe one is going for, but also give the comfortability of relaxed clothing. He has found that the key to finding the perfect outfit is looking everywhere, from malls to small online businesses to thrift stores.

Malik Said poses. (Courtesy of Malik Said)

With fall approaching, Said is excited to start pulling his flannels out of his closet and pairing them with blue jeans, a look that is simple and stylish.

“Fall is the time for layers. Weather is changing so it’s not as hot as it typically is, but it also hasn’t hit the typical Milwaukee winter, so this is the time to dress in flannels and crewnecks, paired with a nice pair of jeans or khakis, a look that allows you to be outside even with the wind and lower temperatures,” Said said.

This fall there will be various styles to be seen on campus, many of which are unique to the person wearing it. From sweats to jeans, there are millions of options to rock this upcoming season.

This story was written by Lauren Puthoff. She can be reached at [email protected].