Rewearit MU hosts Clothing Swap

A completely free event, hosted by Rewearit MU Sept. 22, invited students to bring any clothing items that they no longer use and exchange it for a different piece.
Photo by Keifer Russell
Clothing Swap took place Sept. 22.

The event had four racks of different clothing and was constantly being restocked due to the high student turnout. Those unable to bring clothes were still welcome and encouraged to take part in the event. 

Jane Sessions, a junior in the College of Nursing, was a co-organizer of the event, following in the footsteps of her two friends, Paula Paliwoda and Elizabeth Grout, the original founders who graduated from Marquette last year. 

“They really were passionate about how much fast fashion is consumed on a college campus, to the point where the waste becomes unethical,” Sessions said. 

Sessions was passed down the responsibility of hosting the event and aimed to generate a safe space on campus where sustainable practices could be celebrated. 

“We all wanted to create a little outlet where we could cut down on this issue. Even if just in one corner of the world on Marquette’s campus, we can be the difference,” Sessions said.

The turnout succeeded Session’s expectations, who was nervous about not having enough participants. 

“This is a word-of-mouth type of event, like you have a good time and grab a few pieces and then tell your friends to come next month type of thing, so I’ve been nervous leading up to today,” Sessions said. 

Celia Huber, a junior in the College of Communication, helped out with the event after working with the original founders, Paliwoda and Grout, in the Center for Peacemaking since her first year.

“I wanted to follow in my friends’ footsteps. It makes me super happy to see everyone leave with clothes and smile. It makes me think of the amazing work Paula and Elizabeth started with Rewear It. It is cool to see new life given to clothes,” Huber said. 

Huber said, even when events like these aren’t going on, there are so many ways to stay sustainable. 

“Always remember to thrift. I recommend giving old clothing to homeless shelters around Milwaukee. Upcycling also is fun. Have an upcycling party with your friends and all decorate together!” Huber said. 

Molly Laird, a senior in the College of Nursing, found out about the event on Instagram and thought it would be an entertaining way to spend her Friday afternoon and would be a perfect way to clean out her clothes that have accumulated.

“I brought some old clothes that haven’t been worn in years. I thought I would look and see if anything else was available just for fun. I am not looking for anything in particular, but if I happen to find a cute top, I’ll definitely have to grab it!” Laird said. 

Erik Anderson, a senior in the College of Communication, found it hard to find any clothes for himself. 

“I donated an Outkast sweatshirt and a bunch of other clothes that are genderfluid, but I haven’t found any graphic tees or anything yet I would wear,” Anderson said. 

Anderson is working alongside Rewear It to ensure there will be a bigger male turnout at the next event. 

“I don’t see any men in a 50foot radius of me. I am trying to get my roommates and friends to help out so next time we can have a better selection for men,” Anderson said. 

The clothing swap will be a monthly event at Marquette hosted at the AMU on the second floor. The date for next month has not been announced yet. 

This story was written by Angelina Galullo. She can reached at [email protected].