College of Health Sciences hosts clothing drive for Despensa de la Paz

Donna Sarkar and Grace Terry
The College of Health Sciences Alumni Association is hosting a clothing drive for Despensa de la Paz, which is part of a network of food pantries building ladders of peace throughout Milwaukee. 

The College of Health Sciences Alumni Association is hosting a clothing drive for Despensa de la Paz that started Nov. 1 and will continue until the end of the month. Despensa de la Paz is a part of Friedens Community Ministries Inc., a network of food pantries building ladders of peace throughout Milwaukee. 

“The students and faculty in the College of Health Sciences were sent out emails inviting them to donate items such as winter jackets, sweatshirts, pants, shoes, hats, gloves, mittens and backpacks,” said Bridget Valla, a clinical instructor in the department of audiology and speech language in the college.

The items are collected in the speech pathology office in Cramer Hall. Valla said the items have been overflowing with donated items since the first day.

Christopher Simenz, a clinical professor in the department of physical therapy who serves on the Board of Directors of Friedens Pantries and StreetLife Communities, said many Marquette students and the College of Health Sciences Alumni Association have become regular partners with these organizations and serve actively to promote justice on the streets of Milwaukee.

“These two linked nonprofit organizations work with Despensa de la Paz in providing support to those living on the margins in Milwaukee,” Simenz said.

He said volunteering and taking part in things like the clothing drive are examples of promoting justice.

Hannah Jones, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, said she received the email about the drive and really wanted to donate items.

“It’s the season of giving and I would love to give back to the Milwaukee community and know of many friends who would as well,” Jones said. 

Kaitlin Hong, president of the College of Health Sciences Alumni Association, said the CHS Alumni Association board decided to do their service event last year with Despensa de la Paz, a connection made through Simenz.

“Our volunteering last November took (the club) to the pantry where we had an orientation and then could either stay at the pantry or head outside to the lot right near Marquette’s campus to help hand out food and personal care items to individuals in need,” Hong said. 

Depensa de la Paz is located on 1615 S. 22nd St.

Hong said while volunteering, board members from Despensa de la Paz asked if CHS Alumni Association could tap into some resources for winter clothing and shoes, which ultimately brought about planning for this year’s clothing drive.

“I think by coming together as a Marquette community and donating items that we may not necessarily need anymore has the potential to change the lives of some of our local Milwaukee community members,” Hong said. “I have plenty of old running shoes, hats and mittens that I no longer use but could really help out someone in our community.”

In addition to the clothing drive, Hong said the CHS Alumni Association board will also be heading out to volunteer with Despensa de la Paz Saturday, Nov. 10.