Editorial: Student media vital to accountability, professional growth

This past year, the Marquette Wire has reported on high-profile campus topics from sexual assault, crime, suicide and student government. We report on these without fear of censorship by the university, despite Marquette being our publisher.

Student publications across the country have suffered — they now face funding cuts that make it difficult to continue operating.

Some student media outlets have been given an ultimatum: Close their newsroom, or become a campus-funded publication and risk censorship.

It’s causing a rift across the country and bringing over 85 college and university student medias together to promote the next movement: #SaveStudentNewsrooms.

Student-run publications like the Marquette Wire are able to hold their institution, elected officials and local communities accountable because there is no censorship addendum attached to the student media organization.

Student media outlets operate as a mutually beneficial entity, benefitting both the students working for the publication and the members of the campus community.

It gives student journalists an opportunity to hone their communication skills, with content improving as the contributors learn and grow. Student-run publications produce graduates well-equipped to work in their field after graduation.

Even the best courses in journalism could not replace this real-world experience and opportunity for professional growth.

For students, faculty and staff across the country — and the world — student media allows individuals to engage with news in and around campus. Unlike larger media operations, student media is more accessible to community members and can focus on campus-specific issues other publications overlook.

Students learn how utilize multimedia to the best of their ability to enrich readers and viewers, spark curiosity and drive individuals to follow and stay informed on various issues.

Students working at the Marquette Wire — which include, the Marquette Tribune, Marquette Radio, MUTV and the Marquette Journal — consistently produce strong content and break campus news, with numerous stories reaching beyond campus.

Last year was the 100-year anniversary of student media on Marquette’s campus. The presence of student media is deeply rooted in the values of our institution and has contributed to the campus culture we are familiar with today.

But the Wire has not gone unscathed. We have faced threats over the past few years from groups or individuals attempting to censor or alter our coverage — asking us to abandon the Society of Professional Journalist Code of Ethics and abandon our journalistic integrity.

We have faced budget cuts in past years, and one year ago, we even changed our entire funding mechanism. But with support from the College of Communication, the Marquette Wire is healthy and will continue to provide journalism that matters to Marquette.

It’s why we are participating in the #SaveStudentNewsrooms movement. Journalism matters. And so does student journalism. Because without it, you can’t train the future.