AMOUZOU: Leaving a lasting impact

I visited Marquette for the first time Aug. 4, 2017. After touring the campus, Marquette was not first on my list of schools. Nor was it second, third or even fourth.

Just two years later, however, Marquette seemed like a no-brainer. Now, I can’t thank God enough for my time here.

Although it barely squeaked my top-five list, there was something about the motto “Be the Difference” that I held onto and connected deeply with.

I have always carried a chip on my shoulder in all aspects of my life. I used to live by the saying “defy all odds” because no matter what society and the statistics might say about me and how I grew up, I knew not to be or feel limited by them.

Being the only Black person in my classes since preschool meant that people were getting a personal assessment of Black people through me. It meant that I had to educate myself on my history outside of slavery, Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. Ultimately, it meant that I carried myself with a level of humility, gratitude and determination for who I am and what I will achieve.

No other school reminded me of that mission. Although construction, an empty McCormick Hall, cold wind and rain highlighted my first visit to Marquette, I vividly remember the faculty and staff of the College of Communication tell my group to envision ourselves here and all the opportunities available to us.

On April 13, 2019, I visited Marquette for a second time and the memories of the gloomy first visit were replaced by the sunshine of Spring, renovated residence halls and the state-of-the-art facilities in the College of Communication. Seeing myself on this campus became clear.

I envisioned myself showing the Marquette community my dedication to my craft, the skills I will continue to develop and the talents that I have been blessed with. My parents envisioned a convenient hour-and-a-half drive to Milwaukee from Illinois compared to the other schools on my list.

The next day, I eagerly announced my decision to attend Marquette University with my sister recording the special moment. I had some nerves but my excitement was rooted in starting my next chapter at a four-year university and walking across the stage at graduation four years later.

By May 2023, I wanted to have left a lasting impact.

I wanted to be involved with student media right away, so I joined the Marquette Wire as a news reporter weeks before getting to campus. I envisioned having a sense of community, so I joined RISE, a multicultural pre-orientation program for underrepresented first-year students, and attended events hosted by the Black Student Union and Latin American Student Organization.

I joined Marquette Gospel Choir to fellowship with students and express my faith and joined Marquette Mentors to be a sponge within Marquette’s strong alumni network.

As a news reporter with faith and optimism, I grew journalistically and knew I could lead in my own way. Of course, I could not do it alone. Leaders such as Shane Hogan, Aimee Galaszewski and Alex Rivera Grant are three of many people who encouraged me to keep moving forward.

Closing out my time as Executive Director of the Wire has tied the perfect bow on my vision of being the difference. I was challenged in many ways that the leaders before me had not experienced, but what matters most to me is inspiring the next generation of leaders. I’m confident in knowing that I did my best to do just that.

Thank you Marquette for everything. I know I made the right choice in choosing you.