RIVERA GRANT: Reflecting on how I did that

“You got this.”

Three simple words, but to 18-year-old me standing in my dorm room, they were a huge comfort. Nervous and alone and away from my family, the only thing that I could do was convince myself things would be okay.

Four years later and I still find myself catching my reflection and telling myself those words occasionally.

My Marquette journey has been a roller coaster of ups and downs. I’ve had moments where I feel on top of the world followed by some of the most full-body breakdowns at 3 a.m.

First-year me was honestly a nightmare. Like, bestie, spending every night in the library until 4 a.m. every night when you have 9 a.m. philosophy class is not only bad for your sleep but also your skin. Luckily, I eventually got out of this habit after becoming a member of my sorority along with being a host for Marquette Lately.

While I don’t miss the chaos of my first year at Marquette, I do miss her energy. I mean how else could she get no sleep and still slay the game academically and professionally? (Plus she got a quote retweet from Rondell Sheridan – Raven Baxter’s dad for those who don’t know – so … jealous).

Alex Rivera Grant with friends celebrating sisterhood 2019. Photo courtesy of Alex Rivera Grant

Sophomore year was a lot better because I finally had a decent handle on my schedule. Woo! I was working again at MUTV as a host, planning events with my sorority, and working it out in my classes! Just as my sisters and I were about to plan our annual formal something huge happened.

COVID-19! Yay. So, post-spring break I ended up staying home and had to rush to get all my stuff out of Carpenter Tower: my home for two wonderful years – it was a big RIP for me. I won’t touch on this because let’s be real, we do NOT need to relive that flop era.

Moving on to when I finally got my own apartment in my junior year, I learned a lot about myself by living alone. I learned I like to have full on conversations with myself constantly, change my furniture at 3 a.m. at LEAST once a month, and having full on performances spontaneously.

All in all, this was a pretty great year for me. I got to self-reflect, work as an executive producer, and be somewhat back with my besties. She was a baddie year and I do miss her deeply…

And now a senior. Oh boy. I’ve had so many wonderful things happen this year. I was hired as the first Editor of Diversity and Inclusion, I spoke on a Diversity and Inclusion panel, I went to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the Diederich Experience, and I had a sorority formal again for the first time since 2019. It’s actually been so crazy. I can’t believe it’s all real.

Alex Rivera Grant with friends celebrating sisterhood after three years in 2022. Photo courtesy of Alex Rivera Grant

Everyone keeps telling me how the time went by so fast. For me it didn’t. Every moment felt like it had it’s time to shine and I could take it in. But I won’t lie, I do miss the little moments.

Thank you to every single person who made my Marquette journey special. Without y’all I wouldn’t be nearly as hot and successful as I am now.

I don’t know what the future will hold for me, but I know one thing: I’ve got this.

This story was written by Alex Rivera Grant. She can be reached at [email protected]