Volleyball rolls over Seton Hall, St. John’s in straight sets

Marquette volleyball remained perfect in BIG EAST play this season with back to back sweeps of Seton Hall (25-20, 25-20, 25-19) and St. John’s (25-15, 25-18, 25-12).

“It is nice to be efficient,” Marquette head coach Ryan Theis said. “I like that everybody is  contributing and getting better at things we have been asking them to get better at and so that is important.”

The Golden Eagles hit .276 against Seton Hall while holding the Pirates to just .137. They were even more efficient against St. John’s, hitting a blistering .494 percentage, while keeping St. John’s to a paltry .114, which included a .000 mark in the third frame.

“Get everything up,” said setter Lauren Speckman of Marquette’s defense against St. John’s. “We wanted to come out here, it was a good crowd, and make sure nothing hit the floor tonight.”

Allie Barber led the team offensively with 30 kills on the weekend, while Anna Haak offered a balanced approach with 21 kills and 21 digs in the two matches.

“I thought we were way better in transition tonight then we were last night,” Theis said after the St. John’s match. “Again, if you look at batting average in your mind, last night we were under .200 in transition, sometimes as low as .110-.115. Tonight…we were .500, which meant our dig quality was better or our second touch that really escalates (sic) the offensive numbers.”

After a grueling slate of six matches in the last two weeks, Marquette will have another quick turnaround with a Wednesday road match against Xavier at 5:00 p.m. The quick turnaround means Theis had to take extra precautions to make sure his team is ready quickly.

“It will be challenging again,” Theis said. “The first thing we said is ‘we know it is a Saturday night and we are off tomorrow, but we need to be responsible here.’ We are back on the road on Tuesday, we have to fly, we have two practices before we leave. I know what exists on a Saturday night, I just want them to be responsible.”