2016 MUSG election winners announced, Abe Ortiz and Adam Kouhel land top spots

From left to right: MUSG Vice President Aliya Manjee, Ortiz, Kouhel and MUSG President Zack Wallace pose following the election.

Abe Ortiz and Adam Kouhel were elected today as Marquette Student Government president and vice president, respectively, according to a MUSG press release.

Since neither of the four president and vice president tickets initially received over 50 percent of the vote, there was an instant runoff. It was between Oritz and Kouhel and Josh Miles and Devinne Love. In the final round of voting, Ortiz and Kouhel received 59.28 percent of the vote while Miles and Love had 35.1 percent.

The election was held yesterday and 2,127 votes were cast, representing 28 percent of the eligible voters, according to the press release.

Ortiz andKouhel will be inaugurated next Monday, April 11, at 5 p.m. in Alumni Memorial Union ballroom C.

Rebecca Carballo, Managing Editor of the Marquette Tribune

Rebecca is the managing editor of the Marquette Tribune as well as a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in political science. She has interned with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service and WISN 12.