Fire set in the 707 building

MUPD sent out an email with the suspect’s photo, and received a tip from a student
MUPD arrested the suspect who was found. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Marquette University Police Department and the Milwaukee Fire Department responded to a fire set to a garbage can in the lobby of the 707 Building Monday morning around 10:45 a.m. The fire was extinguished and there were no injuries.

After sending out a “Report if Seen” alert to Marquette students through email, MUPD received a tip, and a suspect was brought into custody. The suspect is not affiliated with the university.

Jeff Kranz, MUPD assistant chief of police, said a student called MUPD alerting them that the suspect was getting on a Milwaukee County Bus. Kranz said MUPD responded immediately with dispatchers finding the suspect on camera and tracking him. Kranz said MUPD stopped the bus at 16th and Wisconsin. There is currently an investigation underway.

Kranz said as part of the ongoing investigation, MUPD is looking for people to come forward with any additional information regarding other incidents involving the subject in the emailed photos.

“I’m just very happy that he’s in custody and I would like to thank our very observant student for the help,” Kranz said.

This story is developing

This story was written by Julia Abuzzahab and Sophia Tiedge. They can be reached at [email protected] and [email protected]