REVIEW: Tyler Hubbard’s independent career

Tyler Hubbard released his new album on Jan. 27.

It’s been four months since the famous country band, Florida Georgia Line, split, leaving the two stars to find a new path. With hit songs such as “Cruise” and “This Is How We Roll,” Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelly were able to make a name for themselves and gain nationwide popularity.

The time away from the band has allowed Hubbard to work on his music as a solo artist. He wrote 18 brand-new songs that were released on Jan. 27 in his first album, Tyler Hubbard.”

His album contained his debut single, “5 Foot 9,” a song inspired by his wife which quickly hit the number one spot on the “Billboard Country charts. Not only did I enjoy how Hubbard was able to make this life into a picture-perfect song, but I loved how the song was framed.

The beginning started with soft-spoken lyrics such as, “Dry wood makes good fires/ Good years make good swings,” two verses which emphasizes how things only get better with time, but quickly leads into his upbeat chorus where he discusses how lucky he is with her.

Although all 18 songs were music to my ears and each had its own deeper meaning, the song that has stuck with me the most is “Inside and Out.” It’s a simplistic song with the strong meaning that beauty is a universal trait and is not defined by one characteristic.

With the use of his music video, he was able to bring me back to my childhood, a world full of innocence and fun, a time when I never thought about how others saw me. His use of strong background music that slowly faded out while keeping the beat as Hubbard’s voice came through, made me proud of the person I am and what I have accomplished.

Overall, throughout the three-minute song, I am brought back to my Midwestern childhood filled with the smells of farmland and memories of biking into town for ice cream without a care in the world, only focused on the present.

Midway through his album, Hubbard introduces a slower and more relaxing piece, “Paradise,” a song created with descriptive lyrics with the intention of producing a visual. With the help of the light piano rhythm and occasional drum, I truly felt as though I was in my own pleasant paradise.

As the album comes to an end, Hubbard brings in a techno and electric guitar moment at the start of “Leave Me Alone,” with the music style subtly remaining in the background of his voice. I can hear the frustration and strength through his vocals, combing perfectly with the tone of the music.

Every time I listen to this song, I think about driving through the back country roads with my hometown friends as all the windows are down and the sun is slowly setting, one of my favorite parts of summer.

As someone who has grown up in the Midwest, country music has always been a part of my life, whether it is from the radio, our local fair or simply due to it being the most popular music taste in my town. Tyler Hubbard’s debut album has the perfect mix of pop and country, allowing him to show off his diverse musical abilities while also bringing in a larger audience.

Country music brings me back to warm weather, joyful smiles and nothing but constant happiness and I believe that Hubbard fully encapsulated everything I love and put it into 18 beautifully written songs.

This article was written by Lauren Puthoff. She can be reached at [email protected]