BASELINE: King achieves career high in points in Marquette win over Fairleigh Dickinson

Senior+guard+Jordan+King+%2823%29+finished+with+a+career-high+24+points+in+Marquette+womens+basketballs+75-47+win+over+Fairleigh+Dickinson+Nov.+7+at+the+Al+McGuire+Center.+
Photo by Isabel Bonebrake
Senior guard Jordan King (23) finished with a career-high 24 points in Marquette women’s basketball’s 75-47 win over Fairleigh Dickinson Nov. 7 at the Al McGuire Center.

Behind a career-high 24 points from senior guard Jordan King, Marquette women’s basketball secured its first win of the season defeating the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights by a score of 75-47 Monday inside the Al McGuire Center.

Here is a breakdown of the win:

Game MVP:

Along with her career-high points, King finished with eight assists and tied a career-high six steals in 33 minutes of action. The Rockton, Illinois native finished 8-for-15 from the field and went 2-for-4 from beyond the arc.

King credited her fellow Golden Eagles for helping her achieve a career-high.

“Credit to my teammates for knocking down shots and the ball comes back my way and I have that lane,” King said. “When you get more people involved that’s when it opens things up for me.”

Head coach Megan Duffy said King put together a balanced performance for the Golden Eagles.

“She got a couple of steals that led to some easy buckets,” Duffy said. “She’s much improved shooting the three, obviously we know she can score at three levels.”

Key Stats:

• The Golden Eagles went on a 14-0 run in the beginning of the second quarter with junior forward Liza Karlen netting eight of the 14 points.
  • King matched a career-high six steals, which she earned last December against Butler.
  • Marquette had 28 defensive rebounds, while Fairleigh Dickinson had six offensive rebounds.
  • The Golden Eagles shot 26.7% from the 3-point line.
  • Marquette held Fairleigh Dickinson to 0.66 points per possession.

Notes:

• In the first half, the Golden Eagles had led the game 87.2% of the time compared to Fairleigh Dickinson’s 7.5%.
  • First-year guard Mackenzie Hare finished with seven points in her first collegiate game.
  • Senior forward Chloe Marotta, Karlen and King combined for 57 of the Golden Eagles’ 75 points.
  • Karlen earned a double-double with 18 points and 12 assists.

Quote of the day:

Duffy touched on the 3,061 fans that showed up Monday, which consisted mostly of students from the Milwaukee Public School District.

“It was a loud environment, probably some of the loudest timeouts I’ve ever been a part of,” Duffy said. “Great to see our Milwaukee Public Schools in the building and love that the youth were having fun today.”

Next up:

Marquette (1-0) will host Holy Cross Friday at 7 p.m. CST at the Al McGuire Center.

This article was written by Jack Albright. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JackAlbrightMU.