Pelaez adds Bode, Scott to his coaching staff

Photo by Claire Gallagher
Marquette huddles in its loss to Providence Oct. 3.

Marquette women’s soccer head coach Frank Pelaez announced Steve Bode and Erin Scott as his assistant coaches Tuesday morning.

“The character and values of Erin and Steve match up exactly with Marquette’s mission,” Pelaez said in a statement. “More importantly, they are exceptional human beings who will help me create a winning culture that will last a lifetime for this team.”

Pelaez said Bode and Scott will be great mentors and role models to the team as well to the broader Marquette community.

“I am extremely excited to surround myself with people who make me a better coach, parent and ambassador of this great university,” Pelaez said.

Bode and Scott replace Ashley Bares and Nick Vorberg, who served as assistants under former head coach Markus Roeders.

Bares was named an assistant coach at Iowa State Jan. 17.

Bode returns to Marquette after spending the 2019 season as a men’s assistant soccer coach at Loyola University Chicago. During his one season at Loyala, he helped the Ramblers to an 11-5-4 record, a Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship and an NCAA Championship appearance.

The Marquette University High School standout spent 2008-15 as an assistant coach for Marquette men’s soccer under head coach Louis Bennett. Bode and Bennett go further back as Bode played for Bennett at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee where he was the anchor of the Panther’s defense.

During his time on Bennett’s staff, the 2008 MLS draftee was named to CollegeSoccerNews’ Top Assistant Coaches list, bringing in numerous top-15-ranked recruiting classes. In addition, he helped lead the Golden Eagles to the program’s first-ever Sweet 16 appearance in 2013 and a BIG EAST Tournament Title.

Scott comes to Milwaukee after spending the 2019 summer season as a women’s graduate assistant coach at Valparaiso University.

Prior to Valparasio, Scott split four seasons as a Division I goalkeeper at Campbell University and Creighton University.

At Creighton, she stopped 108 shots as a first-year in 2015, which is second-most in a single season in program history.

While at Campbell, Scott posted a 1.02 goals-against average as a junior in 2017, the fourth-best single-season mark in program history. She also ranks second in Campbell’s career history in shutouts with nine, and seventh in saves with 157.

Bode, Scott and Pelaez’s debut will be this Friday in the team’s spring season opener against Chicago State at 6 p.m. at the Valley Fields dome.

This article was written by John Leuzzi. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JohnleuzziMU.