Volleyball wraps up weekend road trip, secures seventh consecutive BIG EAST sweep

Photo by Jordan Johnson

A flight cancellation changed the date of the meeting between Marquette and St. John’s, but the Golden Eagles took that in stride to take down the Red Storm in straight sets (25-17, 25-21, 25-22) Sunday afternoon in New York.

After a balanced start to the first set, Marquette pulled away with a 7-0 run to win the set 25-17.

In the second, the Golden Eagles were down 14-11 but stormed back utilizing with a 9-3 run. The Red Storm threatened to retake the lead, but Marquette escaped with a 25-21 set victory.

By the end of the second, junior Allie Barber already boasted a stat line of 11 kills and a clip of 0.417, and senior Anna Haak was within one kill of a double-double with nine kills and 13 digs.

The third and final set remained close. Despite an early 6-2 Marquette lead, there were five ties in the set including a 20-20 tie. The Golden Eagles eventually took the final set 25-22 to secure their seventh consecutive sweep of a BIG EAST opponent.

Redshirt senior Jenna Rosenthal recorded her 1000th career kill in the win. Marquette’s career leader in total blocks and block assists tallied seven kills, five blocks, and four service aces in the match.

Rosenthal is the second Golden Eagle to reach the 1000-kill mark this season. Barber had her 1000th kill against the Villanova Wildcats.

Barber had the match-high in kills with 16 while putting up an 0.382 hitting percentage. Haak completed her third consecutive double-double with 12 kills and 15 kills.

Junior Lauren Speckman and sophomore Sarah Rose tied for the team-high in assists with 19, while sophomore Martha Konovodoff tied Haak for the team-high in digs with 15.

For the Red Storm, outside hitter Efrosini Alexakou led the team with 11 kills. Setter Erica Di Maulo put up a match-high 25 assists while junior Amanda Sanabia contributed a match-high in digs with 16.

The Golden Eagles will next host the DePaul Blue Demons Friday night at the Al McGuire Center at 7 p.m. Central time.