Freshman Hunter Eichhorn wins first ever tournament

Photo by Maggie Bean via Marquette Athletics

Freshman Hunter Eichhorn scored his first ever tournament win on this weekend’s trip to the University of Texas El Paso for the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational. Eichhorn topped a field of 80 golfers, pushing No. 22 ranked Marquette to a second overall finish in the team standings.

Eichhorn’s win came after he shot a white-hot 65 for the final round, converting six birdies while avoiding any over-par finishes. That round propelled him ahead by five spots on the leaderboard and sealed the top spot. He finished nine strokes under par through three rounds, scoring a 67 and 72 in the first and second days of play.

Junior Austin Kendziorski continued his standout fall season play as well; he entered the tournament as the BIG EAST’s lowest scorer and finished eighth overall. Kendziorski came in two strokes under par and shot a 67 on the final day of play to catapult himself into the tournament’s top ten. This marked Kendziorski’s fourth top ten finish of the fall.

The pair led the way for the Golden Eagles, who ended the tournament three strokes under par as a team, nine strokes better than third place Oral Roberts. Texas–El Paso won its home tournament with a final score of thirteen strokes under par.

The Texas trip marked the final tournament of the fall season for the Golden Eagles. They return to action in February, when regular season match play begins.