Marquette golf earns third BIG EAST Championship in five years

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

The Marquette men’s golf team earned first place (303-288-281-872, 8-over-par) overall Sunday afternoon at the BIG EAST championship in Okatie, South Carolina, winning its third BIG EAST championship in five years.

The team held a comfortable lead, with second-place DePaul (301-296-299-896, 32-over-par) finishing 24 strokes behind the Golden Eagles.

It’s a much different tale compared to last season, when the Golden Eagles lost to Georgetown in the 2018 BIG EAST championship by just four strokes.

Matt Murlick led the squad after tying for a second-place individual finish (75-72-70-217, 1-over-par). The Winnetka, Illinois, native’s performance is a drastic improvement after finishing near the bottom of the pool in the last two invitationals.

A line of Golden Eagles followed the junior in the standings. Senior Oliver Farrell ended the tournament with a sixth-place (77-72-69-218, 2-over-par) individual finish.

Freshman Tyler Leach finished in seventh place (78-71-70-219, 3-over-par), and senior Austin Kendziorski concluded his final BIG EAST championship with a tie for eighth place (76-73-72-221, 5-over-par).

Sophomore golfer Hunter Eichhorn remained at the bottom of the pack for the Golden Eagles, finishing tied for 14th overall (75-78-73-226, 10-over-par).

This is Marquette’s first BIG EAST title since 2017 and third title in the last five years.

Head coach Steve Bailey and the squad propelled one another back to the top of the BIG EAST championship for the first time since 2017. Next up is the NCAA Regional May 13. The selection show, which determines where the team will be headed, takes place May 1.