Floor Slaps: Hauser’s exhibition game double-double a sign of things to come

Senior guard Andrew Rowsey drives past two UW-Milwaukee defenders Sunday night. Rowsey finished with a double-double, 12 points and 11 assists in Marquette's 78-63 exhibition win. (Photo by Maggie Bean)

Marquette defeated University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Sunday, 78-63, in an exhibtion benefiting hurricane relief. Here are the floor slaps of the game:

Hauser, Rowsey’s double-doubles leads the way

Sophomore forward Sam Hauser led the way for Marquette, scoring 27 points in the exhibition. Hauser shot 60 percent from the field, including going 5 for 9 from distance. Hauser also had 10 rebounds, three blocks and three steals in 35 minutes of action.

“I think there was a little bit of jitters with people playing together for the first time, but once we were able to calm down, I thought we played well out there,” Hauser said.

Marquette senior Andrew Rowsey chipped in 12 points and 11 assists to also record a double-double. Rowsey was 2 for 5 from beyond the arc and made plenty of fluid passes, finding the open man for the bucket.

Theo John stands out for freshmen

Another standout for Marquette was freshman forward Theo John. The newcomer contributed nine points and seven rebounds. John was able to easily move up and down the floor, creating havoc for the UWM defense. He drew two fouls and get the and-ones both times.

All four freshmen got minutes. Greg Elliott led the way with 24, followed by Theo John with 22, Jamal Cain with 14 and Ike Eke with four. Cain fouled out with 20 seconds remaining in the second half.

Early game turnovers leads to concern

Marquette had 10 first half turnovers including four in the first four minutes of the game. Four Marquette starters committed turnovers including Matt Heldt, who picked up two quick fouls before Theo John replaced him less than four minutes into the game.

“Defensively we were pretty good, especially in the first half … the second half not so much,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “The problem in the first half was our offensive execution on the turnovers.”

Best stat line:

Sam Hauser: 27 points, 10 rebounds including 5-9 from three-point range. Hauser also had three blocks and three steals.

Stat of the night:

$31, 755. That’s the amount of money that Marquette and UW-Milwaukee raised since last Monday.

Next up:

Marquette will play a closed-door exhibition on Oct. 28 against Northwestern.