Three takeaways: Joey Hauser, Joseph Chartouny impress in exhibition win

The Marquette Golden Eagles dominated the Carroll Pioneers 87-44 in its first game at Fiserv Forum. Even though the game was an exhibition, there were plenty of takeaways from the rout:

Joey Hauser makes strong first impression in Marquette debut

Joey Hauser, the younger brother of junior Sam Hauser, was effective in every aspect of  his first appearance in a Marquette jersey. He was tied for the third highest plus-minus on the team with Markus Howard at plus 27. He scored 11 points in 20 minutes, going 5-for-6 from the field.

“When he’s on the court we’re better and so we have to figure out ways to get him on the court more,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “He does a little bit of everything as a basketball player.”

Joey Hauser also showed great court awareness. On one specific possession, Joey Hauser was posting up near the left block and was double teamed. Instead of panicking and losing the ball, the freshman found an open man in the opposite corner.

Graduate transfer maintains offensive flow

Graduate transfer guard Joseph Chartouny also had an effective debut with Marquette. His vision was on display, putting up nine assists in 24 minutes of action. He also had the second highest plus-minus on the team at plus 33.

“(I) love having Chartouny on our team as well. … It’s exciting for him to be on the floor,” redshirt junior Ed Morrow said. “With the nine assists I thought that was big for our team, and he has more to show as well.”

Defensively the guard chipped in two steals and three rebounds.

“He was a real spark plug for us with his ability to facilitate,” Wojciechowski said. “He really thinks pass first. …When he’s passing it becomes contagious. I thought we were better with him in the game.”

Marquette struggles from downtown

Marquette was uncharacteristically rusty from behind the arc all throughout the game. Six minutes into the first half, the Golden Eagles were 3-for-12 from the field. Five of those shots were missed threes. Marquette finished with 31.6 percent shooting from the perimeter. Sam Hauser led the team with two 3-pointers.

“We had some open shots that we’re going to make,” Wojciechowski said. “I’m not concerned about our shooting. I feel pretty good that Hauser and Howard aren’t going to go 3-for-10 very often.”

Stat of the night: Forward Ed Morrow scored 16 points in 15 minutes of play.

Quote of the night: “(Joey Hauser) can pass, handle, shoot, he makes good decisions, he can post up, he’s intelligent, he’s versatile, he’s a good teammate (and) he’s unselfish,” Wojciechowski said. “Other than that he stinks.”

Up next: Marquette starts its regular season against University of Maryland, Baltimore County at 8 p.m. Central time. The Retrievers were the first team in NCAA Tournament history to upset a No. 1 seed as the No. 16 seed.