Summer rundown: Ellenson leads Pistons to third round of NBA Summer League tournament

Graphic by Tom Hillmeyer

Graphic by Tom Hillmeyer

Graphic by Tom Hillmeyer

Graphic by Tom Hillmeyer

Ellenson leads Pistons to quarterfinals of NBA Summer League

Following two years of minimal play with the Detroit Pistons, Henry Ellenson finally shined during this year’s NBA Summer League, leading the Pistons to the third round of the 30-team tournament.

He led the Pistons with 15.7 points per game. Ellenson’s 7.2 rebounds per game fell short of leading the team by a tenth of a point.

However, fellow teammate Andrew Rowsey had limited action with Toronto Raptors during the Summer League. He did not score in four minutes. He shot 0-for-2.

Rowsey averaged a team-high 20.5 points per game and shot 41.5 percent from 3-point range in his senior year at Marquette.

Men’s basketball offers pair of 2020 guards

Shortly after losing interest from top recruits for 2019 such as Mark “Rocket” Watts and DJ Carton, head coach Steve Wojciechowski has offered scholarships to two four-star players for 2020: Zeb Jackson and Nimari Burnett.

Jackson is a 6-foot-2 guard from Maumee, Ohio. 247Sports ranks him 100th nationally in the class of 2020 and second in Ohio. He also has offers from top programs like Ohio State, Xavier, Arizona State, Butler, Michigan, Iowa, Providence and Vanderbilt.

Burnett is a 6-foot-3 guard from Napa, California. 247Sports ranks him 51st in the class of 2020 and seventh in California. Burnett has other offers from USC, DePaul, St. John’s, Stanford and Arizona.

McNeal, seven others inducted into M Club Hall of Fame 

Jim McIlvaine, Angel Robinson, Jerel McNeal, Krystal Ellis, Natalie Kulla, Kerry McBride, Ciara Jones and Jose Itarte were inducted into the M Club Hall of Fame on July 11.

One can only receive this induction if it has been five years since the last time of his or her eligibility at Marquette.

McIlvaine, who graduated in 1994, remains men’s basketball’s all-time leading shot blocker and was an integral part of Marquette’s 1994 Sweet 16 run. McNeal remains the leading scorer in men’s basketball.

Robinson, a 2011 graduate, was the second Marquette women’s basketball player to be selected in the WNBA Draft and the first player to score over 1500 points, 500 assists and 250 steals in a season.

McBride and Kulla, who also graduated in 2011, helped Marquette women’s soccer to four consecutive NCAA Championship appearances and only lost one BIG EAST match in their last two seasons. Jones, a 2011 AVCA All-America honorable mention, helped start volleyball’s current streak of seven consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. Itarte, a 1985 graduate, is the all-time leading scorer for men’s soccer with 52 career goals.