Men’s Golf slips to third after second day at Marquette Intercollegiate

Marquettes+Austin+Kendziorski+hits+a+shot+at+the+Marquette+Intercollegiate+at+Erin+Hills+on+Monday.+The+Golden+Eagles+tee+off+at+10%3A10+today.+
Photo by Maggie Bean
Marquette’s Austin Kendziorski hits a shot at the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills on Monday. The Golden Eagles tee off at 10:10 today.

Fresh from their program debut in the Golf Coaches Association of America Top 25, the Men’s Golf team cooled off Monday on day two of the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, home of the 2017 U.S. Open.

An eight-over-par hiccup landed the team in third place by day’s end, with the final round being played on Tuesday. The team ended round one in second place after shooting a cool 290. Shooting a 296 in the second round dropped The Golden Eagles to third overall in the fifteen-team tournament. UCLA passed the Golden Eagles after shooting a blistering 281 and on Monday. The number one team in the country, Texas A&M, managed to move from fourth to first Monday, with consistent play scoring the Aggies with a 293 on round one and a 287 on round two.

Meanwhile, Marquette junior Austin Kendziorski ended the day five-under-par, sitting atop the individual leaderboard for the second straight day. He also pushed his impressive streak of consecutive par-or-better to 23 consecutive holes until a double-bogey on the fifteenth hole ended the run. Kendziorski remains one of just four in the 87-player field who remains under par through thirty six holes, and currently sits two strokes ahead of Ole Miss junior Braden Thornberry, the defending NCAA Men’s Gold individual champion.

Marquette tees off for their final round at the tournament at 10:10 a.m. today, hoping to even the score with UCLA and Texas A&M while defending their No. 22 national ranking.