Clubs make O-fest debut

Wire Stock Photo

At this year’s O-Fest, Flight Club, a group for students who are interested in radio-controlled drones, will be officially taking off. But they’re not the only ones to do so.

This will be the first semester for three new clubs: Flight Club, Spikeball Club and Racquetball and Handball Club.

Zachary Wehner, a senior in the College of Engineering, founded Flight Club at the end of last year and is currently serving as president.

“Our club is a place where people who have a passion for radio-controlled flight can come together to build, fly and just enjoy the hobby,” Wehner said in an email.

Due to a recent donation, the Flight Club was able to obtain a couple different drones and other tools for members to use.

“Our goal from this is to acquire new members who are either not able or not willing to purchase their own radio-controlled devices,” Wehner said. The club will be showcasing a couple of their devices at their O-Fest table and some footage from the devices as well.

For the Racquetball and Handball Club, this will be its first full active year on campus. Robert Callender, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration founded the club. He describes it as a place for students to explore the west coast sports.

“Anyone can play it, and we’re open to all levels of competition,” Callender said. The club currently holds 10 members and are looking to expand this semester.

The Spikeball Club will also be having their first full active year on campus. Spikeball is a game played with a trampoline and is a mix of four square and volleyball.

Josh Schneider, a junior in the College of Engineering, founded the club last semester and officially received the club’s charter at the beginning of March. The organization is looking to have at least 30 members, according to Schneider. The club will be hosting this year’s Great Lakes regional tournament Oct. 25.

“Our goal for this year is to host tournaments and another regional tournament in the spring,” Schneider said.

Around 350 organizations and departments will be set up in Central Mall from 4-7 p.m. on Wednesday for students to explore their interests and get involved on campus.