Residence hall director struck by car, in stable condition

The+scene+surrounding+the+incident.+
Photo by Clara Janzen
The scene surrounding the incident.

Laura Klinger, residence hall director for University Apartments and the Evans Scholars House, was struck while in a crosswalk near 15th Street by an eastbound driver on Wells Street on August 21.

She was transported to Froedtert Hospital with serious injuries, but is in stable condition.

The University has not yet named Klinger as the victim but her housing residents have been notified. She is in stable condition.

MUPD Captain Jeff Kranz said the name of the employee will be released later upon further assessment of her injuries and the incident. “She was legally in the crosswalk when she was struck,” Kranz said.

The entire front windshield of the vehicle was smashed and lodged in the median of the street. The driver cooperated with the investigation, was cited by MUPD for failure to yield to a pedestrian, and released.

The male driver of the green, four-door sedan that struck Klinger was detained by the Marquette University Police Department at their headquarters after the crash. The driver did not sustain serious injuries.

Kranz said the police are investigating some form of intoxication of the driver as a possibility, but they cannot confirm the cause of the crash at this time.

“One of our Jesuit priests who serves in our Office of Campus Ministry is currently with our employee in the hospital. As thousands of students will return to campus in the next week, we urge all local motorists to please watch out for pedestrians so that we can keep our community safe,” University spokesman Chris Jenkins said in a statement.

MUPD classifies the crash as an ongoing criminal investigation and cannot release additional information at this time.