Naval ROTC receives active shooter training

Photo by Claire Hyman

Photo by Claire Hyman

Marquette Naval ROTC members woke up at dawn March 21 to attend active shooter training led by Marquette University Police Department in the the Marquette Gymnasium.

Rosie Rains, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and operations officer for Naval ROTC, said the active shooter simulation started with Naval ROTC in classrooms, offices and lounge spaces as though it were a normal day. Then, an individual posing as an active shooter entered the building, drew attention to himself and began firing blanks.

“Trainings like these, although unfortunate, are becoming an important part of the modern world,” Rains said.

Navy ROTC regularly participates in active shooter training, where they learn to respond to an active shooter threat in three ways: by running, hiding or fighting, Rains said.

Interim chief Capt. Kranz said the training was scheduled prior to the recent school shooting in Parkland, Florida. However, Ben Vazirani, a senior in the College of Business and a Midshipman for Naval ROTC, said the timing of the training emphasized its importance.

“This had been on the training schedule a couple months out, but based on recent events, it’s definitely more magnified now,” Vazirani said.

To Vazirani, one of the most significant parts of the training was the debrief that occurred after the active shooter simulation.The group identified how they reacted to the threat of an active shooter and ways they could improve their responses.

Recording a description of the shooter and remembering their individual activities were actions that the group identified as important in a real-life scenario.

“I think on a college campus with just the density of people … and being in the middle of Milwaukee, it’s a beneficial training,” Vazirani said.

Rains said the training allowed her to realize the importance of being prepared and aware of one’s surroundings.

“Finding exits and weapons of opportunity, as well as hiding spaces, should not be something we have to do for the first time in a crisis,” Rains said.

Kranz said active shooter training similar to the one Naval ROTC participated in would be difficult to organize for non-ROTC groups. Since the training includes a gunshot simulator and an individual who acts as an active shooter, it necessitates a building be secured and closed to the public. It’s not possible to secure another busy campus building in the middle of the day, Kranz said.

Vazirani said a similar training with Naval ROTC and MUPD occurred two years ago, and that this most recent training was meant to act as a refresher for new and returning Naval ROTC members. He also said Naval ROTC will participate in similar training in the future.

“We’re fortunate to have this training brought to us, and I’d recommend that it be used elsewhere,” he said.