Milwaukee startup to offer internships, job opportunities

Photo by Maryam Tunio

Zizzl, a new payroll and benefits company in Milwaukee, is working to bring innovation to Milwaukee employees and students at Marquette.

Zizzl partners with small to midsize companies, handling their payroll and benefits and making sure employees are paid accurately and on time. The end goal is company growth and job creation. According to zizzl’s website, the company specializes in time tracking, payroll processing and benefit management.

“We help our clients get back to the campfire, which is that place where they can have real conversations about how to innovate,” zizzl CEO Raymond Seaver said. “People’s guards are down and there’s no distractions. The company is looking to partner with Marquette University as soon as next semester by collaborating with Marquette Boost Program and the Marquette Innovation Academy, as well as set up internships with the College of Arts & Sciences.”

Kelsey Otero, associate director of the social innovation initiative, believes the company fits well with students and the university.

“We could not be more excited to be partnering with zizzl,” Otero said. “The company truly understands the importance of connecting with students, and we’re grateful for the funding and supplies they provide.”

Seaver said he hopes zizzl will help Milwaukee and Marquette students gain better employment.

“Honestly, our goal is to have our offices near campus so we can continue to work with Marquette students, providing internships and other opportunities,” Seaver said. “Also, to give them a quality place to work after graduation that’s near the campus and the resources around there.”

Abigail Busse, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she believes the close proximity of zizzl to campus will be beneficial.

“It sounds like a good opportunity for students to get involved in an upcoming business and to be on the ground level of the growth of companies,” she said.

Seaver said he was satisfied with his past successes in buying, expanding and selling four different businesses, but selling is not part of the plan for zizzl.

“I want to keep this one and grow it here in Milwaukee,” he said. “I’m hoping we can be a part of the innovation alley that’s being put together.”

Busse said she feels the opportunity to contribute to growth as a student is important.

“It seems like a really interesting way to be able to see growth happen in a company,” she said. “Getting involved in something as it grows makes the student an integral part of the growth of the company.”

Zizzl’s role, Seaver said, is to take care of the little things, allowing business leaders more time to plan and expand their companies.

Seaver outlined his plan to create nearly 5,000 new Milwaukee jobs, based on his past experience working with the Chicago company bswift as executive vice president before selling the company and starting zizzl.

“The last company we built was up to 500 employees by the time we sold it,” he said. “I believe we can be a 500-employee company in Milwaukee, and with that we believe we can help our clients here create another 2,500 jobs over the next 10 years.

Zizzl also plans to extend its services to budding Milwaukee-based companies.

“We’re working to identify 10 startups over the next 10 years that we can put some lift under, whether that’s financially or through other resources,” Seaver said.

Seaver expressed his motivation for continuing zizzl in Milwaukee and beyond.

“I know there’s a bigger purpose for me and those with me right now,” he said. “We believe we’re here for a purpose that God created us with. We’re using our talents of creating businesses and creating good jobs so that people can feel God’s love through that.”