MUSG elections moved to April due to long spring break

Photo by Yue Yin /yue.yin@mu.edu

Photo by Yue Yin /yue.yin@mu.edu

Marquette Student Government unanimously voted Monday to delay spring MUSG elections from the fourth week of March to April 7.

The decision, made at MUSG’s weekly senate meeting, came because of this semester’s extended spring break. With Easter happening March 27, the Easter and spring breaks were combined into a 12 day vacation.

The amendment to make the change was written and presented by MUSG President Zack Wallace, MUSG Vice President Aliya Manjee, Senior Speaker Committee Coordinator Carly Rogers and the Business Administration Committee.

“We’re trying to make it so everyone has enough time to campaign,” Wallace said. “It gives us more flexibility for the date of turning over.”

MUSG also used the meeting to pass an amendment about Senior Speaker candidate nominations.

December, May and August graduates can apply to be the Senior Speaker at May’s commencement ceremony since the university removed the December commencement after 2013. Nominations now need to be sent at least three weeks before the Feb. 19 deadline.

“We want to narrow it down because it’s a long process,” Manjee said. “Three weeks is an ample amount of time.”

In addition, it was announced that plans for a new health and wellness center hybrid are underway. The final announcement was that Milwaukee’s District 4 Alderman Robert Bauman will attend MUSG’s Senate meeting on Feb. 29. Bauman is running for re-election in the sprint 2016 elections.

Rebecca Carballo, Managing Editor of the Marquette Tribune

Rebecca is the managing editor of the Marquette Tribune as well as a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in political science. She has interned with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service and WISN 12.