MUSG elections moved to April due to long spring break

Photo by Yue Yin /yue.yin@mu.edu
Photo by Yue Yin /[email protected]

Marquette Student Government unanimously voted Monday to delay spring MUSG elections from the fourth week of March to April 7.

The decision, made at MUSG’s weekly senate meeting, came because of this semester’s extended spring break. With Easter happening March 27, the Easter and spring breaks were combined into a 12 day vacation.

The amendment to make the change was written and presented by MUSG President Zack Wallace, MUSG Vice President Aliya Manjee, Senior Speaker Committee Coordinator Carly Rogers and the Business Administration Committee.

“We’re trying to make it so everyone has enough time to campaign,” Wallace said. “It gives us more flexibility for the date of turning over.”

MUSG also used the meeting to pass an amendment about Senior Speaker candidate nominations.

December, May and August graduates can apply to be the Senior Speaker at May’s commencement ceremony since the university removed the December commencement after 2013. Nominations now need to be sent at least three weeks before the Feb. 19 deadline.

“We want to narrow it down because it’s a long process,” Manjee said. “Three weeks is an ample amount of time.”

In addition, it was announced that plans for a new health and wellness center hybrid are underway. The final announcement was that Milwaukee’s District 4 Alderman Robert Bauman will attend MUSG’s Senate meeting on Feb. 29. Bauman is running for re-election in the sprint 2016 elections.