Johnson “player of the game” in MU victory

Jajuan Johnson scored 20 points in his first career start at Marquette. Photo via ESPN.com

Friday night’s game against Tennessee-Martin may be remembered as the official coming out party for sophomore forward Jajuan Johnson. He made an impression all over the court, leading the team with a career-high 20 points, along with four blocks and four steals.

“I thought JJ was the player of the game,” Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “He was terrific on both ends of the floor. When we needed big baskets he came up with them. He was all over the place defensively. He really played like a veteran.”

Johnson struggled at points and played sparingly under Buzz Williams his freshman season. In his first game of the 2014-15 season, Johnson did his best to remind people why he was ranked 27th in his recruiting class according to ESPN.

“I’ve tried to give everybody out here a fresh start,” Wojciechowski said. “What happened in the past is in the past… I think (Johnson) has grown up and matured.”

“Jajuan is good,” senior forward Juan Anderson said. “He just has to mature and come with that same energy every single day. I think it’s easier to bring energy every day knowing you’re going to play every day.”

Johnson earned the start in the team’s opener, and finished behind only Anderson in minutes played. His 20 points surpassed his previous career-high of 18 against Cal State Fullerton last season. He also led the team with six free throws.

The Golden Eagles continued playing high-pressure defense, and Johnson was at the center of the action for much of it. Whether he was the one putting on the pressure or the player picking up the steal, he was instrumental in creating fast break opportunities.

His strong defense continued in the paint as well, where he was arguably more commanding than the either junior forward Steve Taylor Jr. or Anderson. The defensive highlight for Johnson came eight minutes into the second half, when he stuffed sophomore forward Javier Martinez at the rim.

Johnson made a strong case for a second straight start Tuesday against Ohio State. He may even be emerging as a dark horse for Marquette’s point leader as well.