OLIVER: Get ready for a new Tonight Show and generation

eric_cutoutMy grandparents had Johnny Carson, my parents had Jay Leno, and now I have Jimmy Fallon.

With Fallon taking over “The Tonight Show” Monday, another generation is on its way out. In a way, the life span of late night hosts mirrors the generational divide. As each one ages and leaves, another one is ready to fill the void.

Jay Leno was old and starchy (sorry, Leno fans). His comedy wasn’t made for our generation, and that became more apparent toward the end of his late night era. Now he is on his way to a fun-filled retirement, one of touring and entertaining our parents.

I know Fallon isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but I like the youth and energy he brought to “Late Night” and will bring along to “The Tonight Show.” He relates to millennials, and he is going to be our generation’s principal late night comedian.

Fallon’s takeover is symbolic of the changing generations. Gone is Leno and our parents’ generation of comedy, and in his place are the millennials and Fallon’s voice. So it begs the question: What will our generation and Fallon’s voice be known for?

Fallon is going to be there to clear the air of Leno. He is going to bring in the future, much like the millennials will.

Millennials have developed a reputation as lazy and selfish workers who are more interested in what can be done for them instead of what they can do for others. I disagree with that, as does most of my generation. Some of the hardest working people I know are millennials, and it’s all because the volatile state of the workforce.

The economy is slowly rebounding from its collapse earlier in the millennium, so the number of jobless people or those leaving the workforce is staggering. The flood of people trying to find work makes the task of breaking into the workforce all the more daunting.

For example, I’m majoring in journalism, and I’d like to go out in the world and be a reporter. That’s its own predicament, because journalism is a dying field that can’t seem to find a way to turn a profit. Everyone wants the product, but nobody wants to pay for it. So if I’m going to attempt to make it as a journalist, I’m going to have to work my butt off just to get my name out there.

In 2009, the United States produced 808,446 college graduates, according to the National Center for Higher Education Management Systems. Of those 808,446 people, a majority of them are actively pursuing jobs and not being lazy.

When you have to compete with almost a million other people for jobs, you have to be ready to do everything you can to separate yourself. There’s no time to be lazy or selfish. Millennials are a different generation and they view work differently, but to call them lazy is outlandish and stupid.

Jimmy Fallon isn’t going to be Jay Leno. He is his own person and he is going to be the voice that represents the millennials. Gone are the days of the big chin and the witty repertoire. In its place are Jimmy Fallon and a generation ready to be taken seriously.