Top Valentine’s Day songs for couples and singles

Photo via forbes.com

Photo via forbes.com

Photo via forbes.com

Playlist for couples

“Cute” – Stephen Jerzak

Ever want to approach a cute guy or girl across campus but have no idea what to say? Stephen Jerzak’s got your back. He’s conveniently compiled virtually every pick-up line a college kid could ask for into this three-minute medley. Plus, there’s a ukulele. You can’t get much more romantic than that.

“Your Song” – Elton John

Most people expect flowers and chocolate on Valentine’s Day, but not many gifts are as unique and personal as a love song. And as far as love songs go, few are as simple, direct and sweet as “Your Song.” If you’re not the musical type, don’t sweat it. Just put on your iPod and let Elton John do the talking for you.

“Just The Way You Are” — Bruno Mars

Bruno Mars is basically the perfect musician. He has an incredible range, plays multiple instruments, knows how to rock a Super Bowl Halftime show and writes songs like this. The heartfelt lyrics and fun pop beat make this prime song for telling that special girl or guy how you feel.

“Unchained Melody” — Righteous Brothers

When this romantic tune comes on, you can’t help but grab your significant other and sway to the rhythm. It may be a wedding reception staple, but that’s how you know it’s a classic. If you happen to be spinning clay when the song comes on, more power to you.

“My Life Would Suck Without You” — Kelly Clarkson

Sometimes, it’s best to cut the romantic cliches and be blunt with the person you care about. Kelly Clarkson sums it up pretty well in this feel-good pop anthem, but in case you want Marquee’s interpretation — You’re not perfect, I’m not perfect, but frankly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“More Than Words” — Extreme 

Actions speak louder than words, so be sure to show your sweetheart your affection instead of just talking about it. Let her vent about her fickle friends and unfair professors. Sit through that TV show you hate but he loves. To top it off, flip on this classic from Extreme, and the idea will come across just fine.

Playlist for singles

“Thanks For Nothing” — The Downtown Fiction

Being single is hard around Valentine’s Day. Friends in relationships are busy exchanging cute gifts while you’re eating Ben & Jerry’s and watching the Hallmark Channel. The Downtown Fiction says stop feeling sorry for yourself and vent your frustration against exes and failed crushes through this song. Even if you love going solo, it’s still a great song for dancing.

“Everybody’s Got Somebody But Me” — Hunter Hayes & Jason Mraz

As Valentine’s Day continues, you may become increasingly aware of the PDA around campus, from couples holding hands down Wisconsin Avenue to those sitting just a bit too close in the Brew. Eventually, you convince yourself you’re the only single person in Milwaukee. That’s when you break out this upbeat duet for the downhearted. If the sadly true lyrics or Hunter Hayes’ twang can’t put a smile on your face, well, listen to it again.

“Do You Wanna Be My Boyfriend?” – Sarah Nguyen

This “Frozen” parody may seem a bit over the top (honestly, who does parkour to get a guy?), but let’s be honest. Sometimes, the societal pressure to be in a relationship gets too great, and you’d do anything to be part of that special class. That includes tap dancing and memorizing the digits of pi.

“Say You Like Me” — We The Kings

When asking politely doesn’t seem to get the job done, you resort to demanding affection. OK, maybe not verbally, but soon, your mind races to figure out why that person doesn’t like you back. Your determination to go out with him or her must be an attractive quality, right? It certainly works for We The Kings.

“Single” — Natasha Bedingfield

After multiple fruitless attempts, you get fed up with the entire dating scene. Those common folk wouldn’t live up to your standards anyway. Instead, spend Valentine’s Day with a group of single friends (which would include at least you, Hunter Hayes and Jason Mraz). Power anthems like “Single” will provide a fitting theme song for the bachelor or bachelorette parties.

“Haven’t Met You Yet” – Michael Bublé

In the end, you realize that the right guy or girl will come around whenever the time is right. Until then, all you can do is sit back, live in the present and listen to the inspiring words of Michael Bublé – the only way to get over rejection is to stay optimistic. So show yourself some TLC and just wait for the fates work their magic.