Panhellenic Recruitment Q&A

Image courtesy of Panhellenic Association.

Tuesday kicks off Marquette University Greek Life’s sorority formal recruitment. Marquette sororities will prepare to welcome new members at the end of the five-day recruitment process. Katie Doherty, Vice President of Membership for Panhellenic Association, planned this year’s formal recruitment. She has had three years of prior recruiting experience. Doherty sat down with Marquette Wire to answer questions about the process.

Q: What does each night of recruitment entail?
A: There are five nights of recruitment in total. Recruitment 101 is an introduction to the process in which women receive information about times, schedules and how the process will work. Meet the Chapters is a night where women can get to know each one of the sororities. Philanthropy night is a night in which each sorority has an activity or craft related to its charity. Preference night is a more serious night where the women learn about the values and rituals of their favorite sororities. And finally, during bid day, women find out what bid they received and get to know their sisters.

Q: What chapters does Marquette have to offer?
A: There are five National Panhellenic Council chapters that include Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Pi Beta Phi, and Sigma Kappa and there are three associate chapters that include Alpha Omega Epsilon, Delta Xi Phi and Sigma Lambda Gamma. Marquette is also home to multiple National Pan- Hellenic chapters which are historically African American.

Q: Is there a payment for recruitment?
A: It is free to go through recruitment, however, there is a membership fee upon joining a chapter.

Q: What type of attire should women wear to recruitment events?
A: It’s important that girls wear clothes that make them feel comfortable and confident because they are not getting judged on appearance; it’s really their preference, but we tell them what the recruitment leaders will be wearing to give them ideas. For Meet the Chapters night, women can dress casually in jeans and a top. Philanthropy Night is dressier, so jeans and a nice blouse or a casual dress is appropriate. Preference night is the most formal so women should wear what they might wear to an anniversary party. Traditionally on bid day women reveal their bid by wearing that chapters t-shirt.

Q: What are the top reasons women should go through recruitment?
A: All of the chapters are values-based organizations that can help us become the best version of ourselves. Each chapter takes their philanthropy work very seriously and being in a sorority helps women find true friendship and true sisterhood.

Q: How competitive is it to be recruited into a sorority?
A: The ultimate decision is up to the chapters but the majority of girls who go through recruitment do receive bids.

Q: How does the selection process work?
A: It is a mutual selection process. Women can get asked back to up to four chapters and from there they have to choose two they would like to join and two alternatives.

Q: Are there any requirements women must meet before recruitment?
A: Everyone must have 12 college credits because we think that women should have the first semester of college to find themselves before joining a sorority. Most chapters require a 2.5 GPA to join.

Q: What is the role of the recruitment counselors?
A: The 37 recruitment leaders are women in sororities who are looked at as leaders in Greek life. During recruitment, they are disaffiliated from their sorority so that they can be unbiased to the women going through recruitment. They are mainly there for the potential new members to answer any questions or give advice throughout the recruitment process. All of the potential new members are broken up into small groups and assigned two recruitment leaders per group.

Q: What is some helpful advice for women going through recruitment?
A: Be yourself. Be confident. Be happy. Try not to be too nervous because it’s just a chance to join a great organization, not the be all end all.