Volleyball sweeps rival Green Bay, former coach Franklin

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.
Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.

The Marquette women’s volleyball team won its 14th consecutive match against Wisconsin-Green Bay Tuesday night at the Kress Center in Green Bay. The Golden Eagles swept away the Phoenix (25-19, 25-12, 25-21) for their fifth win of 2013.

Freshman outside hitter Autumn Bailey led the way for Marquette, playing error-free volleyball on her way to a game-high 11 kills and a .611 hitting percentage. Junior right side hitter Lindsey Gosh added nine kills and four aces, senior setter Elizabeth Koberstein had 29 assists and senior libero Julie Jeziorowski picked up a game-high 20 digs. The combined team had just four attack errors in the match.

“I think we executed really well for the most part, stuck to the game plan and our passers were really focused, which helped me to run the offense,” senior setter Elizabeth Koberstein told GoMarquette.com. “The hitters were really focused as well, saw the court and put the ball away and it was just a very clean match.”

The team fell behind early in the first set but rallied behind eight opening set kills from Bailey. The set was even at 12, but Marquette stormed ahead and didn’t look back for the rest of the match.

Marquette’s best set by far was the second, in which it hit an absurd .471 without an error. Meghan Niemann led Marquette with four kills in the frame and the rout was on.

The third set proved a bit tighter than the first two, with former Marquette assistant coach and current Green Bay coach Michaela Franklin’s team determined not to go down easily. Marquette led by as many as eight, but Green Bay surged back late before fading in the final points as Marquette completed the sweep.

The Golden Eagles, who improved to 5-3, outhit the Phoenix .382 to .134. Marquette hosts Marquette Invitational from Friday through Sunday and will take on No. 4 Florida and crosstown rival Wisconsin-Milwaukee.