Engineering Hall awarded LEED-gold certification

Sensenbrenner, Johnston and Marquette halls are among the buildings that the university hopes to become Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified by the U.S. Green Building Council. Engineering Hall received LEED-gold certification this summer for its use of green design and construction, joining three other buildings on campus that are already certified.

LEED is a nationally recognized certification system that measures the environmental impacts of a building’s design, construction, operation and management.

Some of the renovations being incorporated into the buildings include cooling and heating methods to conserve energy, sustain infrastructure and use environmentally responsible construction materials.

“We are always looking to build buildings for the long term,” said Tom Ganey, vice president of planning and university architect. “The buildings here aren’t going to last for just 30 years, they are going to last for hundreds of years. Marquette has always been using green methods, these buildings are just an extension of it.”

Engineering Hall, which opened in fall 2011, received an award for multiple aspects of their construction and design. Elements include many LED lights, the use of natural light, polished concrete floors, an experimental green roof, solar panels and water retention system.

“The engineering faculty is teaching about fresh water systems and sustainable construction, so we wanted to practice what we preach, and this is exactly what we did with Engineering Hall,” Graney said. “One of our main goals with the Hall was to become LEED certified; every step of the way we were thinking of ways to be green and efficient.”

Robert H. Bishop, dean of the College of Engineering, said that the design and features of the building “support Marquette and the college’s commitment to addressing global issues.”

Other Marquette projects that have been recognized as LEED certified include the renovations of McCabe Hall, and the construction of Zilber and Eckstein Halls. Renovations of Sensenbrenner, Johnston and Marquette Halls are also receiving sustainable design renovations in hopes of receiving LEED certification, according to Ganey.