Top recruit Juan Anderson commits to Marquette

With one 116 character tweet, the Marquette men’s basketball team officially landed its first recruit for the 2011-’12 season.

Juan Anderson, a high school senior out of Castro Valley High School in California has verbally committed to become a Golden Eagle next year. The 6-foot-6-inch small forward is a four-star recruit ranked No. 69 on the Rivals Top 150. He is also the 19th best small forward in the class of 2011, according to that Web site.

“Head coach Buzz Williams and Marquette struck big on the recruiting trail on Wednesday,” Antonio Curo of Slamonline.com posted. “Anderson saw his stock explode this past July with a number of huge performances on the grassroots travel circuit. He is regarded by some as one of the top sleepers in the country.”

Anderson chose Marquette over California, Arizona State and Oregon, according to ESPN.

On his Twitter account, he said his decision to commit to Marquette was a result of following his heart, even though it wasn’t what his mom wanted. He also posted that back and forth conversations with freshman guard Vander Blue as well as his experience at Marquette during his official visited helped seal the deal.

Anderson is a versatile player that likes to run the floor and has great court vision.