Hitting the Marq: Sarah’s “Nana Krispies”

Sarah's "Nana Krispies." Photo by Dylan Huebner / [email protected]

As starving college students, options for affordably satisfying our collective sweet tooth are in short supply. If you’re lucky (or unlucky, depending on the day) enough to have a dining plan, you get whatever Humphrey Hall’s bakery decided to crank out. If you’re dining off-campus instead, you’re limited to whatever is on sale at Walgreens and Pick ‘n Save.

But if you’re looking for tasty, quality, free desserts, there’s really only one answer: family.

Homemade desserts are always infused with a warm, fuzzy feeling that Oreos and Fig Newtons can only dream of. And here at Marquee, we’ve got a special place in our hearts for our staff’s families. Last year, we gave you a recipe for design editor Dylan Huebner’s “Mom Bars,” and this week, we’re continuing the pseudo-tradition with a recipe for assistant Marquee editor Sarah Elms’ “Nana Krispies.”

A butterscotch and peanut butter amalgam courtesy of Sarah’s grandmother, “Nana Krispies” might be in danger of toppling Dylan’s “Mom Bars” as Marquee’s favorite recipe — if only because Dylan himself laid claim to half of the remaining bite-sized Krispies after having just one. That’s a good recommendation in our book.

Sarah’s “Nana Krispies”

Total prep time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

One 12-ounce package of butterscotch chips

1 ½ cups of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)

6 cups of Rice Krispies

1. In a saucepan or microwaveable container, mix butterscotch chips and peanut butter until well-combined. Then, melt the mixture either on the stove on low heat or in the microwave (for about 2 minutes) until both the chips and peanut butter combine, stirring periodically.
  2. Once melted, pour the mixture into a large bowl. Add the Rice Krispies gradually, stirring them in.
  3. Spoon out the batter onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or parchment paper. Clumps of batter should be no larger than two inches across. Place in refrigerator for roughly an hour until they harden. Makes about 30 bars.