Planning a Spring Break Vacation

1. Get a group

The first step to planning a spring break vacation is figuring out who is going. We’ve all seen the cliché college spring break movies where a group of friends takes a road trip somewhere warm and has plenty of adventures along the way.  If you want that college spring break experience, you may be in luck. Typically, the larger the group, the cheaper the cost. If you’re on a tight budget, a bigger group is the right way to go. But as we all know, a vacation with friends doesn’t guarantee smooth sailing. If a big group of friends is not your style, a relaxing family trip visiting another state or sightseeing would be a great way to spend time off from school as well.

2. Pick a destination

There are so many options when it comes to spring break hot spots. Everyone has different interests, so make sure the entire group will be happy with the decision. You could go somewhere sunny for a tan, somewhere cold to ski, some place new to sightsee, or you can even escape to a B&B nearby. If your group decides to go big and leave the country,  make sure everyone has or will have a passport in time for the trip.

Next, figure out how to get there. If the destination isn’t too far your group may prefer to drive. If that’s the case, decide who would drive and with what car. You will also have to plan how to pay for gas, and schedule hotels in advance if you need to stop anywhere along the way. The second option is flying. Plane tickets can be expensive closer to the departure date so be sure to act quick. Don’t hold out on a ticket sale if you think the price will go down, because chances are it won’t.

3. Make reservations and plans

The longer you wait, the more expensive everything will be. As soon as your group has decided on a destination, start researching hotels, excursions, and restaurants. If a friend or relative has a house where you’d like to go, inquire about a week-long house rental.

After your arrival be sure to look up activities everyone would enjoy. This is a chance to do something you wouldn’t normally do in Wisconsin, so take any opportunity you can. Look for things like surfing, skiing, sightseeing, parasailing, snorkeling, snowboarding, and trying new foods. Make sure to not put too much on your schedule though, because taking a day off to hang out at the beach or in the hotel is just what you need after midterm exams. Remember, spring break is supposed to be a vacation.

4. Stick to your budget

If money is an issue, talk to your parents and try to work it out. If there aren’t any other options, see where you can cut spending back in your daily routine. Watch for deals and specials through travel agencies, hotels, excursion companies, and restaurants. If you have a large group, consider renting a house so you can save money by making your own meals. No matter what, a vacation is going to be expensive and you are going to have to prepare yourself to spend a little money. Don’t stress, just enjoy the moment and work with what you have.

5. Get ready to go

After all the plans are made, make a list of everything you need to bring. Keep the list somewhere easily accessible so you can add to it over time. Packing is tough and trying to make sure you have everything can be stressful. That being said, don’t over pack. Whether you travel by car or plane, you probably won’t have a lot of room. If you’re going somewhere warm you will most likely be in a swimsuit and cover-up most of the time, so there is no need to pack more than one pair of pants. But cold weather can be more challenging. Try to condense everything in one suitecase and don’t worry about repeating outfits. If possible check to see if where you’re staying has a washer and dryer or a laundromat nearby. That way you know you’ll be able to pack light and wash your clothes when they get dirty.

6. Have fun

With all of the planning you’ve been doing, you deserve a nice break to reap in all the benefits. Spring break is a time to recharge your batteries before coming back to the second half of school. Don’t spend time worrying about anything, and just relax.

• S

SarahFeb 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

This was so helpful! Great story