How to Work Exercise Into Your Schedule

As the school year begins, finding ways to balance classes, homework, friends, extracurricular activities and exercise is anything but easy. Having an overloaded schedule can be exhausting both physically and mentally.

But whether it is once a week or once a day, making time for exercise in any form is beneficial for a number of reasons:

1. Physical activity can act as a stress reliever.
    2. The mind can be at ease for a half hour or an hour, free of concern.
    3.  It’s mentally healthy to schedule regular workout times.
    4. Exercise during the day leads to a longer, deeper sleep at night. Exercise before an exam or completing assignment will also increase brain productivity.
    5. The brain works better and retains more information after working out

For those of you who struggle to make time for exercise, here are some helpful suggestions to work exercise into your schedule. 

Problem: My classes are packed closely together. It’s difficult to factor in a workout schedule.

Solution: What’s great about Marquette is that campus itself is only about one mile long. Explore new routes from one class to another and take the stairs instead of the elevator to add a few extra paces in each day. Every small step makes a difference. A little exercise is better than no exercise.

Problem: How can I exercise on the weekend without cutting into homework time?  

Solution: Fridays tend to be the favored day of the week. Classes are finished for the week, and weekend of opportunities puts students at ease. Another great aspect of Fridays is that the Rec Plex and the Rec Center offer free fitness classes.

At 3 p.m. at the Plex, and 4 p.m. at the Center, different classes are offered on a weekly basis on a first come, first serve basis.

Problem: I’m new to exercise. What class should I take? What’s right for my body?  

Solution: The Rec Center and Rec Plex give free fitness assessments to students. “The fitness assessments include body fat testing, blood pressure screening, heart rate testing, 1 rep max testing, basic cardiac fitness testing, flexibility, and more,” as stated on their website. For more information, ask one of the desk receptionists or e-mail [email protected].

Staying healthy and fit in college is a challenge, but it’s not an impossible one. With self-determination, time-management, and motivation maintaining a healthy lifestyle now is realistic and will prove to be beneficial in the long run.