Sounds of Summer

The music industry may be changing, but the fans aren’t going anywhere. Whether you want to see an old favorite, a rising star, or as many acts as you can cram into the day, this summer has you set.

What do you think of when I say “summer concerts?” Many people can come up with three letters: DMB. After taking a year off from touring, the caravan is back. The Dave Matthews Band will return to the Alpine Valley Music Theatre in Elkhorn, Wis. on July 6 and 7. Tickets range from $75-$800.

Another old favorite has returned to the touring scene. After rumors circulated last year that the band was reuniting, The Beach Boys finally confirmed at this year’s Grammys that they were in fact releasing a new album. Although this album has yet to be released, fans can feel some California lovin’ this summer. The band will be stopping by the Chicago Theater in Chicago on May 21 and 22. Tickets range from $75 – $500.

Basketball season may be over, but there is another reason for heading over to the Bradley Center this summer. After the release of their hugely successful album “El Camino,” Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney, better known as the blues-rock duo, The Black Keys, are taking to the road this summer. The band will play at the Bradley Center on May 16. Tickets range from $55-$145.

For country fans, be sure to check out Country Thunder in Twin Lakes, Wis. from July 19 to 22. You can purchase a $120 4-day pass for general admission, which means you must bring your own seating and be ready to storm the gates for a good seat. The grounds provide a plethora of food and merchandise vendors and multiple stages for those planning to stick around for the whole day. Some of the festival headliners include Toby Keith and Big & Rich.

Wisconsin is also home to the self-proclaimed, “World’s Largest Music Festival” – Summerfest. The eleven-day music festival is located in Milwaukee and goes from June 27 until July 8. For the past 45 years, Summerfest prides itself as being an event that not only unifies the community, but also attracts fans from around the world.

The festival draws in over 700 bands annually, and some of this year’s headliners include Joss Stone, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals and Gavin DeGraw. More acts will be announced as the festival draws nearer. Ticket prices range according to how many days you will attend and if you plan on attending a headliner.

With great music like this coming to the area, you can practically hear the sweet sounds of summer. There are just a few more class lectures to listen to first!