You get what you (don’t) pay for: Downloading has some major drawbacks

It seems like only yesterday we were rocking out to Ace of Base on our Walkmans, but, in reality, the days of cassettes, CD players and MiniDiscs are long gone. For some time, we have existed in a world of digital music, where iTunes and Windows Media Player have become staples in our daily routine. Dropping by the local music store to purchase the latest “must-have” album may be a distant memory — many find that the most convenient music vendor is sitting right on their desktop. After becoming accustomed to this new age in music, it’s time to step back and ask whether the digital age is all its cracked up to be.

“The good thing about digitally downloaded music is that it is extremely easy to search, download and pay for,” said Bruce Cole, assistant cataloger of the Raynor Memorial Libraries’ Jean Cujé Music Collection. “Quick transactions, millions of downloads — that’s theoretically great news for everybody from the artist on down.”

Apple single-handedly revolutionized the way we access music with the creation of iTunes in 2001.

“iTunes allows users to buy full-length albums for a smaller cost than what you would find at a retail store,” said Selvin Quire, a junior in the College of Communication and music director for Marquette Radio. “If they don’t want to buy the whole album, they have the ability to pick and choose songs for 99 cents each. Some of the singles released by artists are available before the album comes out. Music lovers have greater control of their favorite music.”

Despite the convenience of online shopping, the poor quality of MP3s is forcing consumers to re-examine the digital revolution.

“MP3s are a musical joke,” said Rich Menning, owner of Atomic Records in Milwaukee. Menning explained that when music is digitized, “it is cut into little bits and reconstructed to form a Frankenstein monster.” For this reason, many are reverting back to vinyl records, where the sound quality is far superior, he said.

“Music is something you feel emotionally, and when it is reduced to an MP3, you don’t have the same resonance there,” Menning said.

Phillip Naylor, associate professor in the history department and History of Rock ‘n’ Roll instructor, said he is happy vinyls are making a comeback. “It is a richer sound,” Naylor said. “I like listening to old records because they have more character.”

Although vinyls are regaining popularity, the reality is many refuse to spend money on music that is available for free on the Internet. Illegal downloading has been controversial since digital music’s debut, and the debate regarding its ethicality has no end in sight.

Some bands, such as Radiohead, have accepted the existence of downloading and offer a “pay-what-you-want” option when releasing a new album. On the other hand, we all remember artists like Metallica, who sued Napster for illegal music sharing in 2000.

“Illegal downloading plays the role of the double-edged sword in the music industry,” Quire said. “On one hand, this method of music access brings more exposure to the people and hopefully inspires them to buy their full-length records. However, this can also backfire.

The people who can get their music well in advance might use it to make a profit of their own.”
    In the words of Menning, the music industry is “screwed.” Menning said people are willing to illegally download music despite poor sound quality for the sole reason that “you can’t beat free.”

Cole said he agrees.

“The bad step forward is, of course, the continuing rise of digital piracy and all the puzzling questions — legal and otherwise — connected with it,” Cole said. “Consumers are pretty much uninformed, and artists are struggling to understand how and where their profit margin lies in the digital nightmare wonderland.”