Journey: Joe Kearney

photo credit: Colleen Herrmann

Age: 20

College: Arts & Sciences ‘13

Major: Biochemistry

Campus activities: Sigma Chi,
Midnight Run Site Coordinator, tutor through Summit Educational Program

This summer, Joe Kearney went to Panama. But he didn’t go with a study abroad program, his family or his friends. He went with little more than his luggage.

Kearney spent two months volunteering in the western town of Boqueté, teaching English to schoolchildren, working in an orphanage and helping doctors at a medical clinic.

Kearney’s journey to Panama began a long time ago – in high school, in fact.

Although he has always enjoyed working with children, even formerly aspiring to be a history teacher, it was a high school trip to the Dominican Republic that made Kearney realize he wanted to work with the poor in a direct way.

He wanted to be a doctor.

“That was it,” Kearney said. “It became more than a hobby. I tried to surround my life with it.”

So Kearney did just that. For three and a half years, he saved money to afford a plane ticket to Panama. He researched, made contacts and cemented plans to go.

During the first four weeks of his stay, Kearney taught English in the mornings, and helped at the orphanage in the afternoon. In the next five weeks, Kearney worked at the clinic, administering vaccinations, taking vitals, providing early childhood check-ups and shadowing doctors.

Although Kearney said it took some time to become acclimated to his new surroundings, the locals greeted him with smiles and welcomed him into their community. He played soccer with the local children, and played rugby with Boqueté’s regional team.

But the people there weren’t just looking for help. “They don’t need an outsider to tell them how to do things. All I could do was show them love,” Kearney said.

Kearney is grateful for his experience. “I wanted to do something by myself and have something to show for it,” he said. “It was an incredible thing. I’m really glad I got to do it.”

Although he hopes to return to Panama in the future, for now Kearney said he has to focus on classes and his commitment to Midnight Run and Summit Education.

Through his time in Panama, Kearney found something he’s in love with: helping people. “Just give up and let life take you where you want to go,” he said.